Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is it permissible to wear Suede?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is it permissible to wear Suede?
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
Dear Joseph Islam

Is it permissible to wear suede? I know the flesh of pork is forbidden as food so logically there would seem to be no reason to kill a pig and have its skin but I was just wondering. Tom's and Adidas shoes use suede.

Thank you.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is it permissible to wear Suede?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:52:42 PM »
As-salamu alaykum

It is forbidden to eat swine. (2:173; 5:3; 6:145; 16:115).

Suede can be sourced from the skin of a number of animals besides swine such as calves, goats, deer and lambs.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances (5:3), for believers, the Quran does not permiss the killing of swine for food (Quranic prohibition) and I personally would not support the killing of any animal simply for its skin, or other animal parts unless there is a cogent justification for it.

Therefore in the main, I would personally steer clear of swine related products and in the case of your question, suede from the skin of swine.

Thus in this regard, I find your statement below a fair sentiment.

I know the flesh of pork is forbidden as food so logically there would seem to be no reason to kill a pig and have its skin

Generally in matters of religion, I take the approach of erring on the side of caution.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

RELATED

[1] FOOD PERMISSIBILITY AND PROHIBITIONS
http://quransmessage.com/articles/food%20restrictions%20FM3.htm
[2] WHY IS SWINE FLESH FORBIDDEN FOR CONSUMPTION?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/swine%20FM3.htm

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »
Peace brother Joseph.

Since I find you paying attention to details in the majority of your work,allow me to draw attention to a small detail in your post,quote:
Should it be "eat the- lahm of swine-?
2:173,5:3,6:145 and 16 :115 have all mentioned "Lahma Alkhinzeer" and not  "Khinzeer". I believe GOD is always specific and deliberate with His words.
Thank you.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:58:34 AM »
Peace brother Joseph.

Since I find you paying attention to details in the majority of your work,allow me to draw attention to a small detail in your post,quote:
Should it be "eat the- lahm of swine-?
2:173,5:3,6:145 and 16 :115 have all mentioned "Lahma Alkhinzeer" and not  "Khinzeer". I believe GOD is always specific and deliberate with His words.
Thank you.
GOD bless you.
Peace.

As-salamu alaykum Good Logic,

Please kindly note the related articles which I shared for elaboration within the post. You'll kindly note even from the title what I had generally intended (flesh).

However, if your intention to make the distinction is once again based on the works of Rashad Khalifa's position, then may I kindly refer you to the following post:

Is Pig Fat Forbidden or Just Swine Flesh?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=98.0

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:29:59 AM »
Peace brother Joseph.

I did read your article.
 However, the fact is Qoran said "Lahm Khinzeer" ,you would agree on citing verses , we should not add or subtract words from what Qoran says. I was reminding on this issue alone.

It is not about what Rashad said or what anyone else said or says. My post was specifically  on what Qoran says.

One can say  the Qoran says "Lahm Khinzeer" but in my opinion it means all "Khinzeer" ,that is fine , but the words of Qoran are clear for all to see.

Thank you for your post.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:05:03 AM »
you would agree on citing verses , we should not add or subtract words from what Qoran says. I was reminding on this issue alone.

Dear Good Logic,

I've provided you my elaborated response and I feel it is clear in what I've written that there was no intention to add or subtract. I further feel that the sentiment was apt in the context of the original question asked. 

With respect, I do feel you are being a little pedantic and I do feel the distinction is important for you to press/ highlight as it was arguably for Rashad who I believe you follow as a 'Messenger of the Covenant'.

Please can I kindly request that we do not discuss this matter between us further as the differences in our approaches have already often been made clear.

Regards,
Joseph
George Orwell

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:16:21 AM »
You are welcome brother. Your request is amicably accepted.
Thank you and GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 06:23:15 AM »
Thank you Good Logic  :)
George Orwell