Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Understanding "Eating One's Brother's Flesh" from 49:12

Offline Athman

• View Profile
Understanding "Eating One's Brother's Flesh" from 49:12
« on: December 21, 2017, 09:15:45 PM »
Salaamun Aleikum,

This refers to the Qur’anic verse quoted below:

"O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to 'eat the flesh of his brother when dead?' You would detest it. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is accepting of repentance and Merciful." (Qur’an, Al-Hujurat 49:12)

The traditional understanding on the verse connects the highlighted part with the backbiting of one’s brother in faith, mentioned just before it, in a “symbolic” sense. However, much is sometimes advanced beyond the symbolic aspect of it and fanciful stands taken backed by some Secondary Sources material. The “eating of one’s brother’s flesh” is taken literal.
The following references are made in such a case:

“Ubaid, the freed slave of the Prophet, reported that someone came to the Prophet and showed the Prophet two women who were fasting and said that they were dying of thirst.  The Prophet turned away silently refusing to give permission for them to break their fast.  So, the man begged him again, mentioning that the women were on the verge of death.  The Prophet then said, bring them to me and bring along a bowl.  When they turned to him, he turned to one and told her to vomit in the bowl. She complied, spitting up a mixture of vomit, blood, pus and pieces of flesh which half-filled the bowl.  He then turned to the other and had her do the same.  After the bowl was filled, he said, ‘Verily these two have fasted from what Allah has made halal for them and broken their fast from what Allah has made haram.  They spent their fast eating the flesh of others.’ Ahmad”

Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported: We were sitting with the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, when a man stood to leave. Another man spoke badly about him after he left, so the Prophet said, “Pick your teeth.” The man said, “O Messenger of Allah, why should I pick my teeth when I have not eaten meat?” The Prophet said, “You have eaten the flesh of your brother.
Source: al-Mu’jam al-Kabīr 9951
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Haythami

Traditionally, in the first Hadith, the nullification of the fast is understood to be as a result of “eating the flesh of others” which amounts from backbiting referred to as “what Allah has made haram” in the foregoing Hadith, obviously inferring from 49:12 above with the prohibition “...do not spy or backbite each other...” and as allegedly remarked by the prophet in the second Hadith, supposedly accentuated by the fanciful nature of the contents of the sputum described in the foregoing (first) Hadith.

Now coming to my point of concern, from the context of the verses, could there be a variant advanced understanding of the phrase “eat the flesh of his brother when dead” in 49:12 or is it just an allegorical stylistic device? Otherwise, what could be the symbolic representation of the phrase?

Any Quranic based opinion would be respectfully appreciated Insha Allah.

Regards,

Athman.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Re: Understanding "Eating One's Brother's Flesh" from 49:12
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 02:05:51 AM »
Wa 3alykum assalam brother Athman

I would personally at times advise to dismiss an opinion or a narrative when the you feel something about the overall message is incorrect and goes against the verses of the Quran. I think the hadith you kindly shared can be rebuked in many ways when consulting the Quran.

For instance, the hadith would be considered very weak when read with the thought that the prophet(pbuh) would not and cannot force anyone to vomit, or eat any vomit etc. The whole hadith seems to be very odd and who ever wrote it seemed to try to make a punishment out of the verse in the earthly world.

In my humble opinion, the verse seems to give a warning on assumption and some are actually sins. Also prohibiting backbite, gossip, spying. It is then likened to that of eating the dead meat of a brother.  Then God makes it clear that it would be something that would be abhorred(disgusted and hated) by us. Then at the same time that should be abhorred the backbiting, gossip, assumption, and spying.

Thats what I humbly think of this verse.

Salam

Offline Athman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:17:34 PM »
Salaam Br. Hamzeh,

“I would personally at times advise to dismiss an opinion or a narrative when the you feel something about the overall message is incorrect and goes against the verses of the Quran.”

Thanks for the advice.

Notwithstanding the above parted advice, I also agree with the sentiment of yours that the Hadith (in fact both of them) could be refuted from various angles consulting qur’anic relevant themes, the overarching qur’anic spirit and the qur’anic portrayal of the Prophet’s general character especially as regards the incident surrounding the two women amidst the prophet’s presence.

I appreciate your thoughts on the verse with an understanding that the abhorrence that one would have on the idea of eating a deceased brother’s flesh is symbolically likened to that of negative assumption, backbiting and spying, hence should be avoided.

As regards my citation of the references used by some traditionalists above, it is just in an honest bid to present what they proffer as supporting evidence of their underlying understanding, as they would sincerely expect one to when quoting them. Sure, when the overall message seems not sensible or is in contrary to the spirit of the Qur’an, I would not pursue such fanciful propositions, nor would any sincere student of the Qur’an be expected to as you may agree. My point in that was just to show how the symbolic nature of the verse as understood by some of the traditionalists is a times overlooked by some other group amongst the traditionalists. Otherwise, my main concern was what you have rightfully addressed thereafter.

Anyway, thanks for your input Br. Hamzeh. That sounds in harmony with the overall message of the context and the whole narrative.

Regards,

Athman.

Offline niaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
Salaam,

This is my understanding ... "eating the dead brother's flesh" is a metaphor to help us understand the gravity of backbiting. When someone is dead, they are not present to defend themselves if their flesh is eaten by someone. Similarly, when backbiting, the person who is the target of the backbiting is not present to defend themselves from whatever they are being accused of. So backbiting is similar to cannibalism in this respect, and we should abhor the former, just as much as we abhor the latter.

Peace.

Offline Athman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
Salaam,

Thanks Br. 'niaz' for your contribution, and welcome to the forum. That's really insightful!

Regards,

Athman.