Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Daawah and 16:125

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Daawah and 16:125
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »
Salaam all
16:125 is commonly the primary driver for daawah.
What is the context of this verse? Is it directed to the prophet, the believers or both? Are all believers directed by Allah the Almighty to go out into the world and preach Islam?
How does a believer fulfil or satisfy this directive whilst being cautious of not misguiding others? Are we to strive in the cause of daawah?
I recall a verse (6:110) where Allah the Almighty is asking the prophet to turn away from the polytheists because their hearts are covered. How should one know when to turn away and not invite/daawah? Is daawah obligatory?

Jzk and kind regards

Offline Athman

• View Profile
Re: Daawah and 16:125
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
Salaam Br. miracle114,

In my humble opinion, from the grammatical structure of the verse, it is a direct address to the Prophet noted by the phrases ‘...sabili rabika...’ and ‘...inna rabbaka huwa...’ The next verse to this, 16:126, however addresses the believers in general with regards equivalence of requital or else exercising patience. This in anyway is not strange of the Qur’an as Br. Joseph respectfully put it as quoted: “This is also not atypical for the Quran that switches audience, address and context to support an underlying message.”

However, in my humble opinion, I understand that such a directive lends heed to any reader of the Qur’an, who seeks to extract religious obligations, as a believer. Verses such as 3:104 and 3:110 are however explicit in that respect, with a direct obligation tied to those who follow the Prophet amongst believers regarding inviting towards Allah (12:108).

Indeed Allah knows for sure who strayed (6:111) is and who is guided, as the verse in question says, for He is the one who oversees that (35:verse eight) so one should just do their best in calling towards Allah and leave the rest to Him. 18:29 and 10:108 among other verses make it clear that one is just expected to convey the message and that guidance is not upon themselves to manage. Even the Prophet, in particular, was reminded about this, 28:56.

And We will turn away their hearts and their eyes just as they refused to believe in it the first time. And We will leave them in their transgression, wandering blindly. (Qur’an, Al-An’am 6:110)

In my humble opinion, the verse above as you referred to in your question just explains (and answers the rhetorical question in 6:109) how the disbelievers wouldn’t believe even if the sign called for (6:109) would come, just as even if angels would have been sent or even if the dead would have spoken to them, 6:111.

Therefore, believers have an obligation to invite towards Allah not worrying about the impact of their sincere efforts in doing so, in the long run hoping for the best out of it. For those ones whose hearts are bent on denying plain truth, Allah is witness to them and He is the One to judge their case, at His own discretion.

Hopefully that helps Insha Allah.

Regards,

Athman.

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Re: Daawah and 16:125
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
Salaam Athman
Yep very well referenced and I loved your reply  :) Jzk.
Calling to Allah or warning with the Quran is daawah and no one does it better (that I know of) than everyone here. Huge JZK to Joseph islam.  :)

Kind regards