Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Hajj for People of the Book?

Offline Student

• View Profile
Hajj for People of the Book?
« on: July 31, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »
Salaamun Alayka,
Dear Sir Joseph,

I've read "Hajj and Umrah" article more than once and just now was referring again as a discussion ensued on WhatsApp group. I had this question for quite sometime but keeps forgetting to ask, you wrote:

Hajj has been a practice that has been followed by successive generations of Prophet Abraham. (pbuh)

So, is that Hajj practice still in situ or is it lost? Or only some remnants remained?

Also, who's the addressee in 22:27 - and in the mankind, doesn't Jews & Christians included? If so, how do you reconcile with 5:48 that they're to keep their shariyat meaning keep their Hajj at original sanctuary?

Hope you're keeping well and spare some moments to shed some light here, inshallah  :)

Jazak Allah Khair!
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
Re: Hajj for People of the Book?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
Hajj practice from time to time was reformed after the revelation of various scriptures since Prophet Abraham. It is a practice initiated from the period of Prophet Abraham & still be continued. In mid era, This practice was abrogated or lost, but Quran reformed it & made it in place again.

So, is that Hajj practice still in situ or is it lost? Or only some remnants remained?
In this sense, Ancient Hajj practice is still in right place & performed by muslims from around the world.

Also, who's the addressee in 22:27 - and in the mankind, doesn't Jews & Christians included? If so, how do you reconcile with 5:48 that they're to keep their shariyat meaning keep their Hajj at original sanctuary?
In verse 22:27, Quran is addressing only disbelievers. A disbeliever can be from any religion who or what does not believe or support to oneness of GOD. Apart from that, any person who believes in oneness of GOD & follow the provided rules, is a believer. This system is referred to as 'Islam'. In this sense, Any jew or Christian, who believes in oneness of GOD & follows the guidance provided by GOD only, is a Muslim & can perform Hajj. In verse 5:48, Quran is talking about in general word, replacement of previous scriptures with the revelation of the Holy Quran. As I hope you are concerned about previous scriptures being distorted through the pass of many centuries by the human being & that is why GOD himself took responsibility to protect the Quran [15:9] so that noone or nothing can abrogate or distort it. This verse actually is not talking about avoiding jews or christians, but to avoid their distorted thoughts which are already in between them. This is why 'criterion' word is mentioned.
“And no example do they bring to you but We bring to you the truth and the BEST TAFSEER (EXEGESIS).” 25:33

The best commentary of the Qur’an is the Qur’an itself!

Offline Student

• View Profile
Re: Hajj for People of the Book?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »
Thanks Sstikstof. Quran doesn't treat it as a lost practice and as argued by Sir Joseph it has just re-instituted it from precincts of Jerusalem to Mecca hence my questions to him specifically  :)
At the time of re-institution were people of the book performing Hajj or not? And after re-institution what are they supposed to uphold? Hajj months are well-known tells Quran, well-known to whom?
Again these on questions to Sir Joseph to get clarity around his article on Hajj but I do still appreciate your time for sharing your thoughts  :)
Thanks,
~ Student