Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Quran's Revelation Format

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
The Quran's Revelation Format
« on: December 30, 2018, 10:53:16 PM »
Dear Br J. Islam,

1. Sura Najim verse 1-10., provides information about an event of revelation. Sura indicates as it was the revelation of Quran all at once to Prophet Muhammad PBUH. Later, when needed, verses were reminded to Prophet Muhammad PBUH and revealed to people.

2. According to Quran/Sura Najim, Prophet Muhammad PBUH experienced Jibrael's true form only two times VS commonly believed that Jibrael used to visit prophet with some verses of Quran frequently.

Please let me know, if you have covered it in your articles or posts?

Aslamunelikum

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: The Quran's Revelation Format
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam

RESPONSE TO POINT 1:

The verses you have cited of Surah Najm do not provide irrefutable evidence that the Quran was revealed to the Prophet all at once. However, there is explicit and more cogent 'implicit' evidence throughout the Quran that it's revelation was piecemeal.

As I have noted:

"The disbelievers ask, ‘Why is the Quran not revealed to him all at once?’ [25:32] i.e. as one integral unit (Jumlatan Wahida). Regardless of the obvious charge of the polemics of Islam at the time of the Prophet with this statement which hints at a Prophet of God revealing verses to suit certain conditions, the Quran’s statement clearly denies the insinuations and admits to a well-planned and arranged structure despite its piecemeal revelation." [1]

RESPONSE TO POINT 2:

It is correct in my humble view to assert that the Quran provides evidence that the Prophet experienced 'the one mighty in power (shadidu'l-quwa)' twice. This is most likely a reference to Gabriel (2:97) who was tasked with the piecemeal revelation to the Prophet.

Furthermore, it is perfectly reconcilable given the verses cited in this response that the Prophet did see Gabriel in his physical form twice (53:13) but also had the Quran's revelation revealed to him subsequently (as the Quran claims - to his heart) over a period of time (2:97).

There is also further arguable evidence that once these revelations were 'inspired' to the prophet's 'heart', these revelations further manifested to the Prophet in the likeness of dreams (21:5).

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] THE COMPILATION OF THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/the%20compilation%20of%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm

RELATED:

[2] THE NIGHT JOURNEY - ISRA AND MI'RAJ
http://quransmessage.com/articles/lailatul%20miraj%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell