Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Can I say "Peace be upon you " to a non Muslim ?

Offline Beyond Tradition

• View Profile
Can I say "Peace be upon you " to a non Muslim ?
« on: March 24, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph ,
Salamun Alaikum ,
Can I say "Peace be upon you " to a non Muslim ? Is  "As-sala Mualikum " mentioned in the Quran ?
I need a clear concept on this thread .

Offline Athman

• View Profile
Re: Can I say "Peace be upon you " to a non Muslim ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »
Dear ‘Beyond Tradition,’

As salaam alaikum,

Hopefully you don't mind if I share my view briefly on this. I trust this is also Okay with Br. Joseph. He may also respond where necessary insha Allah.

As regards an ‘islamic greeting,’ I guess it is well established from the Qur'an that a general greeting of 'Peace (Salaam)' is enshrined. In Suratul Ibrahim (14:4), we note that each nation was sent a messenger in their own language and therefore all salutations and utterances made in their respective languages. For our Ummah, we have the Qur'an which is in Arabic from the Arabic prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) and that's why a popularized Arabic greeting is common amongst believers of this last revelation. However, I believe that one can greet another in their own language provided there is a form of 'Peace' wishes, or even something better as we see in Suratul An-Nisa (4:86).

"And when you are greeted with a greeting, greet [in return] with one better than it or [at least] return it [in a like manner]. Indeed, Allah is ever, over all things, an Accountant."

For example, in Suratul Ad-Dhariyat (51:24-25), it is just 'Peace' (Salaman) returned with 'Peace' (Salamun). It is thus Okay if you greet an English speaking person or they greet you 'Peace be upon you.'

About the use of 'Salaamun alaikum,’ this is infact what is instructed of believers in the Qur'an.

Kindly refer to the verses below:

"When those come to thee who believe in our signs, Say: 'Peace be on you (Salaamun alaikum): Your Lord has inscribed for Himself (the rule of) mercy: verily, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amend (his conduct), lo! He is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful" [Qur'an Al-An'am 6:54]

"(Abraham) said, 'Peace will be upon you (Salaamun 'alaika). I will ask forgiveness for you of my Lord. Indeed, He is ever gracious to me.'" [Qur'an, Maryam 19:47]

Otherwise, there’s also no problem with the popularized Arabic greeting of 'as salaam alaikum' because it is just a traditional one and captures a wishing of 'Peace.'

See an elaborate article [1] on this by Br. Joseph and an attempted critique [2] which was subsequently rebutted.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Athman.

REFERENCE:
[1]. SALAMUN ALAIKUM (PEACE BE UPON YOU) - WHAT IS AN ISLAMIC GREETING?

http://quransmessage.com/articles/salamun%20alaikum%20FM3.htm
[2]. Crtique: What is an Islamic greeting?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1086.0