Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Should we keep a minimum contacts with relative/friends who hate Islam/God ?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Dear All,

I have - with a close relative of mine - an occasional contact (phone call, family gathering sometimes..)

Sadly ​he has ​written (and still) some articles/books against Islam/Allah, full with hate and false arguments, trying to explain his view with his own interpretation of the Quran (He describes himself as a Philosopher). He knows​​ my view​​ on Islam ​since I'm a believer ​and we​​ have ​discussed ​sometimes​ the subject, but I think at this point, I can't do more for him since he seems to be stuck in his "own truth".

As I'm reading the following verses :
Allah only forbids you from those who fight you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion - [forbids] that you make allies of them. And whoever makes allies of them, then it is those who are the wrongdoers 60:9

You will not find a people who believe in Allah and the Last Day having affection for those who oppose Allah and His Messenger, even if they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred. Those - He has decreed within their hearts faith and supported them with spirit from Him. And We will admit them to gardens beneath which rivers flow, wherein they abide eternally. Allah is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him - those are the party of Allah. Unquestionably, the party of Allah - they are the successful 58:22

I'm wondering, ​should I ​keep some sort of contact with him, meaning calling him from time to time to have from his news, visit him sometimes, or should I stay distant from him ? what would you do Brothers/Sisters if you were in my position ?​

Joe

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Salaam Joe,

It's an interesting predicament that you are in and I think that you shouldn't cut off all contact.

Its tricky to discuss religion especially if you feel that you are not well enough equipped in knowledge. I don't know if you are in that position or not, but if you feel competent in showing him a different view, it may sway him to reconsider.

Given what you have shared, I don't think you should call first etc but if he contacts you then see where the conversation goes and judge it from there.