Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What's wrong with Quran 9:31?

Offline Lobotomize94

• View Profile
What's wrong with Quran 9:31?
« on: May 02, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »
"They have taken their scholars and monks as lords besides Allah, and [also] the Messiah, the son of Mary. And they were not commanded except to worship one God; there is no deity except Him. Exalted is He above whatever they associate with Him."

Weren't the Jews/Christians commanded to do more than just worship one God? They had 617 commandments. However, this verse says that the only commandment is to worship one God?

Something seems off. Perhaps this is just a rhetorical exaggerrative statement like we use in English language, or perhaps it is referring only to foundational commands?

We also see this in Quran 98:5 --they were only commanded to worship God, establish prayer and give Zakat...but they were commanded MUCH MORE than just that. They were commanded to keep Sabbath for example. Or perhaps this verse is referring to the new commandments of the Jews/Christians, to be Muslims and abandon their previous rituals (like abandoning sabbath) and instead become Muslims who are commanded to worship God, establish prayer and Give Zakat. Or again, maybe this is just another rhetorical exaggerative statement showing how easy it is to be a Muslim?

Offline Lobotomize94

• View Profile
Re: What's wrong with Quran 9:31?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 07:08:56 PM »
Edit:

Nevermind. That was a dumb Question. I can't seem to go back and delete it.

I realize now that Quran 9:31 is saying "they were only commanded to worship one God" (Not 2,3, or 4, but only one God). That is they were not commanded to worship more than one God. This verse is not saying this was the only commandment, rather it was saying they were only told to Worship one God (not any more).

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 07:44:54 AM »
Salaam Lobotomize94

Would you like me to delete this entire thread for you?

Thanks

Offline Lobotomize94

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »
Thanks for asking!

I really did struggle with this verse, but it was a dumb struggle.

I'm wondering if others who struggle with this verse the same as I do can read my post and gain insight. So in hindsight, I'm not sure if it should be deleted. I'll leave it up to you  :)

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 12:12:19 AM »
Salaam

No problem. I will just leave it be  :)