Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are we allowed to donate to blatent polytheists?

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Are we allowed to donate to blatent polytheists?
« on: September 07, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »
Salaam
Recently on an old school friends what's app group a friend made a plea for an old teacher who needed shoulder surgery. A picture sent around showed this male teacher a Christian at home with about 5 pictures of ISA on the wall behind him and two of Mary, clearly polytheists.
I was happy to donate till I saw the picture and it out me a bit off and now I am unsure what to do.
Allah looks after everyone regardless of their religion. Should we too? I am confused as to what to do.
I would appreciate any advise using the Qur'an if possible.

Salaam

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Re: Are we allowed to donate to blatent polytheists?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 06:35:00 AM »
Wa 3alykum Assalam

The Quran is quite clear to who charity is supposed to go to.

9:60 "Charities (Arabic: Sadaqatu) are only for the poor (Arabic: Fuqara) and the needy (Arabic: Masakin), and those who collect them (Amalina Alayha), and those whose hearts are to be reconciled (Mu-alafati qulubuhum) and to free the captives (Arabic: Fil-riqabi) and the debtors (Arabic: Gharimina), and for the cause of God (Arabic: Fi-Sabili-llahi) and (for) the wayfarer (Arabic: Sabili); a duty imposed by God. God is Knower, Wise"

2.273 "(Charities are) for the poor who are straitened for the cause of God, who cannot travel in the land (for trade), the ignorant man thinks them to be rich on account of (their) abstaining (from begging); you can recognise them by their mark; they do not beg from men importunately; and whatever good thing you spend, surely God knows it"

2:215 They ask you, [O Muhammad], what they should spend. Say, "Whatever you spend of good is [to be] for parents and relatives and orphans and the needy and the traveler. And whatever you do of good - indeed, Allah is Knowing of it."

17:26 And give the relative his right, and [also] the poor and the traveler, and do not spend wastefully.

The verses above do not mention the faith/religion of the people. Any good even thats not mentioned above one does God He knows about it.

Also worth noting is since believers are brethren of one another 49:10 and are expected to be close and protectors of one another(4:144), it would be good in my humble opinion to also look at them as well from among the groups mentioned in the verses, however whatever good one does God knows about it.

Salam