Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Wudu - wiping hands over socks

Offline Visionary

• View Profile
Wudu - wiping hands over socks
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »
Salaam,

I know this comes from hadith, and also to me makes sense in times where it may not be easy to wash your feet each time for wudu. Would this be permissible from the Quran's perspective?

Regards,

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wudu - wiping hands over socks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »
Salaam,

I think that water should be used to wash the feet directly unless you are in a place where after you removed your socks to wash the feet, they touched the ground where there is dirt (like public toilets).

It is true that your feet would be kept clean after putting socks on, but the same could be said of the forearms if you cover them with long sleeved clothing after washing.
Yet we would always wash them every time we do wudu so why not our feet also?

I think that from my understanding of the Quranic verses, the feet should be included as a standard part of the wudu process.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:09:24 AM »

Salamun Alaikum Truthseeker,

It is true that your feet would be kept clean after putting socks on, but the same could be said of the forearms if you cover them with long sleeved clothing after washing.
Yet we would always wash them every time we do wudu so why not our feet also?

The above is an apt argument and I would be inclined to concur with you.

The purpose of the 'Wudu' is made clear by the Quran as 'liyutahhirakum' (to purify you 5:6) and not to make any difficulty for you, 'ma yurudulllahu liyaj'ala alaykumin harajin' (God does not intend to make any difficulty for you 5:6)

Therefore, if washing or wiping of the feet [1] is going to impose difficulties or the place you are intending to do wudu is going to compromise your task of washing your feet then one needs to exercise best judgment. In such a case, it may be deemed appropriate not to attempt to wash or wipe the feet, but to wipe over the socks especially if they were clean from the previous ablution (wudu).

However, wiping of the socks as a 'rule' regardless of conditions is not supportable by the Quran in my humble opinion.

So I would incline to agree with you that both the cleansing of the feet / arms should be part of the standard ablution (wudu).

The best 'Quranic perspective' is the one that takes full guidance from the Quran and exercises wisdom to make an appropriate judgment. The Quran is not always black or white, nor does it intends to be.

It provides guidance for believers to follow the best meaning from it, to exercise informed decisions to make better judgments with wisdom.

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

039:018
"Those who listen to the Word (the Quran) and follow the best meaning in it / best of it (Arabic: fayattabi'una ahsanahu) those are the ones whom God has guided and those are the one's endowed with understanding (Arabic: Albabi)

"And follow the best of what is revealed to you from your Lord, before the penalty comes to you suddenly while you do not perceive!”

Regards,
Joseph.

[1] WASHING OR WIPING THE FEET IN WUDU (ABLUTION)?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/washing-wiping%20FM3.htm

I think that from my understanding of the Quranic verses, the feet should be included as a standard part of the wudu process.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Your response makes sense Br Joe.

Can you imagine if you need to use a sink at a McDonald's (or any other such dining place) to perform wudu and put your feet in it to wash your feet? What kind of impression would that leave to those watching you!

Deen must be applied with wisdom so that it becomes a rehmat for others and not zehmat!!

Offline Visionary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:28:18 AM »
Agree totally