Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: On reciting the Quran in Arabic without full understanding

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
On reciting the Quran in Arabic without full understanding
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:19:08 AM »
Salaams to all,

I know a few short Surahs by memory. Like most Muslims I suppose, I've been brought up to recite Surahs, as part prayer, as a matter of ritual rather than with full understanding.

I know from 04:43 that repeating the Arabic words without understanding the meaning is not recommended. My understanding of Arabic is poor.

In order to solve the problem I have attempted to gain an understanding of the Arabic in Surahs I know in order that I may pray in Arabic whilst remembering the meaning simultaneously.

I prefer reciting the Quran in Arabic during prayer as it feels more pleasant. The memorized words just flow, especially when I don't concentrate too much, and it is possible for me to lose myself in the rhythm. I've always felt that the easy remembrance of the Quran in Arabic is evidence of it's divine origin. The recitation of the Quran in Arabic for me evokes feelings of harmony, solace, divinity and something extraordinary.

Unfortunately though the English meanings of many surahs can be complex, and it is difficult to recall a meaning exactly whilst praying in Arabic. I therefore end up just remembering the gist of a surah and less so the meanings of the individual Arabic words.

So my question is can the remembrance of the gist of a Surah, and the feelings evoked by reciting the Quran in Arabic, contribute to prayer? The Quran in Arabic seems to me to be so conveniently easy to repeat and rehearse without understanding, therefore I wonder if this form of prayer could have also been intended by God.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: On reciting the Quran in Arabic without full understanding
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »
Salaam,

I agree with you regarding the harmonious flow when reciting the Quran but I think that if one's knowledge of Arabic is weak, then trying to learn word for word meanings would be better.

We should know what we are saying when we say our prayers and I think that if it is a struggle to learn the meaning then we should pray in our native tongue as God understands all languages.

Thanks

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »

What you are saying is the ideal solution of course.

I consider music to have a similar effect btw. I'm sure that many music lovers just listen for the purposes of invoking emotions such as happiness, sadness, enthusiasm, nostalgia etc. Music lovers may not necessarily remember the lyric meanings at the time of listening, but they are still emotionally changed at the end of it. It is the harmony (musical nature) of the song that perhaps takes precedence in the mind.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »
Dear Shahmatt,

Peace to you.

I actually concur with your overall perspective.

Words are there to capture sentiments and emotions, regardless of which language.

If feelings are evoked by reciting the Quran in Arabic whilst you understand the gist / sentiment of what you are reciting then I would humbly submit that I see absolutely nothing wrong with that and nor do I feel any soul can judge another's contribution to prayer.

We couldn't even account for the value of a tear shed on a prayer mat by a worshipper in reverence of God as their forehead rests on the ground in total submission. This is whilst not a word is understood or uttered. Each individual's commune with God is a personal matter and only God knows the full ambit in which His worshipper approaches Him in prayer.

With regards verse 4:43, it is important to note that the oft insinuated suggestion that the only interpretation allowable is that 'you "must" pray in your own language' is unduly restrictive. It can be argued that this is merely a part of the wider wisdom that the verse possibly intends to impart.

For example, on the basis of 4:43 it can also be argued that the purport is to ensure that the mind is at a certain level of equilibrium where one can 'fully' concentrate and commune with God (hence the instruction 'until you know what you are saying'). For example, there is arguably no point in approaching prayer in an angered state (mental 'sukara') and utter words (even in a native tongue) and not being able to concentrate or focus with them.

The requirement to 'understand what one is saying' should not be exclusively equated with the interpretation 'you must pray in your own language'.

However, as you understand the gist of what you utter and subsequent spiritual connection is evoked, I humbly see no conflict with verse 4:43 on any grounds. I also accept your analogy with music as a very appropriate one.

I also find merit in ‘Truth seekers’ perspective where she says:

“I think that if it is a struggle to learn the meaning then we should pray in our native tongue as God understands all languages”.

Where spiritual connection is lacking for some who recite Arabic blindly and feel disconnected with prayer, this can certainly help as God understands all languages. As I have argued humbly before, the Quran does not demand worship in ‘Arabic’.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
Thanks very much for the input.

Offline sahibul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,
Reciting Quranic verses in your prayers in a language you do not understand can be very dangerous, especially with verses beginning with "qul".
There you go, telling God to recite what, He in fact, command you to recite.
That is why, Allah says: "O you who believe, do not observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) while intoxicated or until you know what you are saying.  (4:43).
And why should one stand in front of Allah, reciting "to you your religion and for me my religion." (109:6).
You should be reciting this Surah to the unbelievers, not to Allah. Also, why should be telling stories about Abu Lahab to Allah by reciting Surah Al Masad. (111) in your solat.
Why don't you recite verses glorifying and praising Allah instead or seek help and forgiveness from Allah or by reciting the doas of the prophets.

For me, Surah Al Fatihah provides the best example of what you should recite in solat.

First you praise and glorify Allah.
"Praise be to Allah, the Lord (Cherisher and Sustainer) of the worlds; (Rab-Al-'Ala'meen), Most Gracious, Most Merciful."

Then you state your allegiance.
"You alone we worship. You alone we ask for help."

And finally, you ask for help and guidance (and forgiveness or whatever)
"Guide us on the right path."

Also, "Glorify and praise Him in the night and at the end of every prayer." (50:40)

Salam.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:23 PM »
Dear Sahibul,

Peace to you.

Please see below a Q&A [1] and a short article [2] related to your post which may be of interest to both your kind self and other readers too.

Regards,
Joseph.

[1] Why do we say 'Qul' (say) in our Prayers?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=51.msg134#msg134

[2] WHY DO WE HAVE TO RECITE THE QURAN BACK TO GOD IN PRAYER?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/recite%20quran%20back%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell