Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Samaritan Error

Offline Peaceful

• Choose the truth, even if it sounds bitter!
    • View Profile
Samaritan Error
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
Salam, could you please explain this:
Al-Samiri = The Samritan (inhabitant of Samaria)

"We have tested thy people in thy absence: the Samiri has led them astray." So Moses returned to his people... and that was what the Samiri suggested. "Then he brought out (of the fire) before the (people) the image of a calf."

This seems to be a chronological error because the Samaritans did not exist until the 8th Cen. BCE. The Exodus, which was 500 years prior could not have had a Samaritan.

Is this word, Samiri, mistranslated and if so, what is the correct translation?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Samaritan Error
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
Dear Peaceful,

May peace be with you.

Please see my response in the following link:

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=531.msg1769#msg1769

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Peaceful

• Choose the truth, even if it sounds bitter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
Salam Joseph. Your post on Samaritan was closed but I thought of offering this explanation as well.

Numbers 25:6-15
6 Then an Israelite man brought into the camp a Midianite woman right before the eyes of Moses and the whole assembly of Israel while they were weeping at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 7 When Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the priest, saw this, he left the assembly, took a spear in his hand 8 and followed the Israelite into the tent. He drove the spear into both of them, right through the Israelite man and into the woman’s stomach. Then the plague against the Israelites was stopped; 9 but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000.

14 The name of the Israelite who was killed with the Midianite woman was Zimri son of Salu, the leader of a Simeonite family. 15 And the name of the Midianite woman who was put to death was Kozbi daughter of Zur, a tribal chief of a Midianite family.

Based on this, I think the Israelite man who the Quran was referring to as rebelling against God, was Zimri, which seems etymologically related to Samiri. It may not have been referring the a Samaritan at all.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
Dear Peaceful,

May peace be with you.

Thanks for sharing this. I'll take a look at this suggestion for plausibility, God willing.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
Yes, this is possible. Often, I suppose, when a Hebrew word is Arabized, the consonants may change, such as Mizmor (Psalm) becoming Zabur.