Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Was Muhammed perfect?

Offline Kristina_Muslima

• View Profile
Was Muhammed perfect?
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:50:50 PM »
Salamunalaykom.i got in a debate at uni (i wish i hadnt) as the teacher said how Muhammmed made a mistake- he frowned at the old blind man. now i didnt say anything even though Allah knows best if this verse is regarding Muhammed or not. but some guy was like "no he is perfect without sin"..."he made no mistakes"... i said he was not as he was a person. the guy said that all prophets were perfect. then i gav an example about Jonah and how he left the town.  So my question is- was Muhammed perfect? thanks
Theres only one God and Muhammed is His Messenger

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
Re: Was Muhammed perfect?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:20:00 AM »
Some information that may be useful:

We all know that messengers and prophets were humans and therefor fallible. We have many examples of mistakes messengers made, including but perhaps not limited to: Muhammad prohibiting something God did not (66:1), turning away from a blind man and giving attention to someone he thought was better (Chapter 80), fearing the people instead of God (33:37); Abraham asking for his father's forgiveness (9:114), arguing about Lot's people (11:74-76); Moses killing a man (28:15-16), Jonah trying to escape from his duties (37:139-144).

From tradition:
The concept of the infallibility of the Prophet found its way into mainstream Sunni doctrine by the 9th century CE (over 160 years after Prophet Muhammad's death), p61. Almost all theologians agreed that Muhammad was free from error when it came to matters of revelation, but there were disagreements to the nature and extent of isma (infallibility) in matters outside the sphere of revelation. Only a minority held to a doctrine of complete immunity from error. The majority limited isma to the period after a prophet received his call and considered matters only directly related to the prophetic mission to be completely guaranteed. In matters that would not affect the prophetic mission, prophets could conceivelably commit errors or even minor sins, although they would remain protected against major sins. Thus the Prophet's persona was divided into human and prophetic spheres. In his everyday life, personal affairs, and private judgements he was potentially fallible, hence his words and actions are not legally binding. In his capacity as Prophet however, his words and actions were divinely guided and represent God's Will.

I have refrained from posting the reference/source, since this forum apparently only allows such if a member requests the reference.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:39:08 AM »
Salaam Wakas,

The quote you presented under the "From Tradition" heading, does not support the traditional view in my opinion.  Traditional view holds that Muhammad was infallible and by extension all God's prophets were infallible.  It is very very difficult for us mortals to judge.  When does a mistake become a sin? I believe God considers  the purity of the heart and the intentions in all kinds of extenuating circumstances rather than just considering only the outcome.

To answer Kristina's question, " was Muhammed perfect?".  Perfection is not an attribute of mankind.  At best, it can be said that man has been, is and will always be  in the process of attaining higher and higher levels of existence.

Peace,
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:39:48 AM »
w/salaam Hope,

The quote you presented under the "From Tradition" heading, does not support the traditional view in my opinion.  Traditional view holds that Muhammad was infallible and by extension all God's prophets were infallible. 

You may be referring to the dominant view now, but what I quoted covered then and now. My source was this book, in it the author lists hundreds of Traditional Islamic references. I have not verified them so the author may well be misrepresenting the traditional view, although I doubt he is.