Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: changing the creation of Allah

Offline Nura

• View Profile
changing the creation of Allah
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

I have read an ayat in the Quran which says that the Iblis will order humans to change the creation of Allah. Do you think gender change operation falls under the ambit of this ayat?

Please shed some light on the following three scenarios and tell me whether my believes are justified in the light of the glorious Quran:

1. A transgendered person, who believes that they are born with a fully functioning body of a person of the opposite gender i.e a woman who believes she is actually a man who is born with the body of a female. Is the operation allowed in this situation?

I believe they receive some kind of waswasa or they might actually have such feelings or inclination but they should see this as a test from Allah and persevere and not go for the operation.

2. a hermoaphrodite person, these people in my country are constantly ridiculed and harassed for their physical deformities. If such a person can get a fully functioning male/female body after the operation and lead a normal life, I believe the gender change operation is allowed for them.

Before the advent of this technology they were thought to be a test for themselves and everyone around them but when I see the condition of such people in my country my eyes fill up with tears. Do you think its more humane and Allah, the most merciful, would not penalize them for taking a shot at living a normal life by undergoing such operations?

3. A homosexual person, i.e. a man who wants to undergo this procedure to become a woman  so that he can marry a man afterwards, is it allowed then? The Quran clearly forbids homosexual relationships, but do you think even after the operation their relationship would be considered homosexual as the new woman was actually born a male? I believe it is not allowed and they should see their inclinations as a test for them and persevere and not go for such an operation.

Thank you.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
Re: changing the creation of Allah
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »
Peace,

Interesting interpretation.  There are many physical conditions  just like the abnormalities of the sexual function of the body.

How about people born with congenital abnormalities like congenital heart disease or blindness.  Should medicine be allowed to help them or should they consider it as a test and make the most of life?    Should conjoined twins that were fused together in the womb be separated afterbirth or not? 

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:49 PM »
Walaikum asallam Hope

it is a very tricky verse isnt it? One must apply wisdom but i become confused sometimes because if caution is not maintained some people twist such beautiful verses. I think when deformities make life difficult or staying alive difficult than operatoons to remove that difficulty is allowed
but you know some people can also then claim that they are born in the wrong body or that its yheir nature to be homosexual but we know that it is not the case. Maybe these people beleive such a thing due to a wasswasa but you knoe Allah has said jomosexuality is haram and also anther name for islam is deen-ul-fitra which means a religion that is natural to all and suita nature very well.. Allah the most merciful does not classify anything as sin that is a part of our narure or anything that is good. But he does have rules for functions that are natural and vital for us like eating, sexual relationships within a marriage etc..if we follow the rulws it is not a sin..but if we do not follow the rules and engage freely in such actibities..we ate transgressors..so wisdom should be used very carefully weighing in every possible scenarios

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:36:52 AM »
Salam Nura,

Understanding sexual orientation is much more complex than we wish to admit.  Here is an interesting article by the author of "Imprinted Brain".

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-imprinted-brain/201001/what-determines-sex

It is easy  to generate opinions on the keyboard yet it is another thing when you are faced with the problem in a family setting. for example.  Parents disowning children, cutting contact, suicides. .  The only logical explanation is to accept it as a test like any calamity or hardship which is relatively easier to confront the issue as a believer. Do I have the right to condemn the others who do not have the faith?  Many do haram things like lying, cheating, backbiting,  defrauding. 

Peace

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 06:30:35 AM »
Salaam Nura,

Please can you provide the verse, as you have some interesting questions.

Thanks

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »
Peace to u too Hope :)

I absolutely agree with you that it is easy to give opinions on a keyboard and that understanding sexuality is difficult that is exactly why I asked the opinion of brother Joseph on my understanding and whether it is correct in the light of the Quran.

from my first post:
Please shed some light on the following three scenarios and tell me whether my believes are justified in the light of the glorious Quran:

Now I have also given two possibilities in the cases of the homosexual person and the transgendered person:
1. they are born with those inclinations and should see it as a test for them and persevere and not transgress
2. or it might be a wasswassa from satan not something that is innate in them  because if a  person can really be born homosexual and it was something that is natural to our existence then maybe Allah subhanahu taala wouldnt have classed it as a haram act. Allah did not classify eating, sexual relations, altogether as haram. He gave some rules and if they are not followed these harmless acts become a sin.

And also the human body really can't differentiate the source of stimulation ( please pardon me if I offend anyone). Our bodies can't detect whether a male or female is the source of stimulation or a person himself/herself etc.. just like our stomach can't differentiate between rice or bread, for it both is a source of carbohydrate.

I have always tried to base my opinions on the Quran. I fear our lord and do not want to be among the transgressors, If I become judgmental about anyone, be it a believer or a non believer I will be among the transgressors. No one has the right to judge anyone because we cannot really know how much of the truth has reached them.

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
Salam Truth Seeker,

the translation of the verse is as follows:

Surat An-Nisa (4:119):

Sahih International

And I will mislead them, and I will arouse in them [sinful] desires, and I will command them so they will slit the ears of cattle, and I will command them so they will change the creation of Allah ." And whoever takes Satan as an ally instead of Allah has certainly sustained a clear loss

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
As-salam alaykum Nura,

In my humble opinion, the verse itself carries the explanation.

The 'change of creation' (falayughayyirunna khalqa) implied are those done with false desires in the name of false religion.

This is supported by the example given in the verse which is of slitting the ears of the cattle which is more likely an attempt to deface a creation of God for an unwarranted religious purpose. Some even killed their children in the name of religion (6:137).

"And thus their associates have made fair seeming to most of the polytheists the killing of their children, that they may cause them to perish and obscure for them their religion (dinahum); and if God had pleased, they would not have done it, therefore leave them and that which they invent"

Unwarranted superstitious practices were not only an ancient undertaking, but can also be seen in a number of religions today in a variety of guises. Some even change God's creation in the name of Islam without warrant. Female genital mutilation (FGM) is one such example.

Verse 4:119 that you have kindly cited is not a reference to corrective surgery, or changes which benefit humans such as sister Hope suggested.

Discussions such as gender change is a moot topic (i.e. one which is debatable) and would need to be considered carefully in light of intention, medical necessity, psychological reasons and a whole host of other important deliberations. Of course, if one just wants to change their gender on account of a mere whim and without any serious warrant, then this is arguably not within the spirit of the Quran's teachings or Islam.

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.

REFERENCES:

[1] SUPERSTITIONS - A SATANIC WEAPON
http://quransmessage.com/articles/superstition%20FM3.htm
[2] SATAN'S GUILE - DARK FORCES OF EVIL
http://quransmessage.com/articles/satans%20guile%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
Salaam Nura,

I agree with your views regarding the gender identity complications but I have a different view of verse 4:119.

Iblis is taking his pride to a new level- arrogance par excellence.  Marking the ear of a camel was an old custom applied to a female camel when her fifth offspring was a male.  They would no longer get use out of the camel. (man-made laws)  I think the point being made here is that  man changes the status of halal and haram.  There is no prohibition against the camel.

In 30:30 God talks about there is no change in the creation of Allah meaning islam is the natural, rational religion for mankind (din-i fitrah).  Iblis intervenes and leads man to shirk.  The abd-creator relationship is altered.  False religion is created which is in conflict with nature, conscience and science.  Man is lured to bow and beg before the false deities.

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »
I agree with the responses given by Bros Miyan and Siddiq.  The critical verse to understand 25:70 (which used the derivative of the root verb  "baddala =switch) is to understand its cognate verse 11:114 (which uses the root verb "dhahaba =takes away) and the verse 28:54 that uses the root verb "dara'a = to avert):
28:54 "Twice will they be given their reward, for that they have persevered, (and) they avert evil with good." Notice the "doubling of the award, one for persevering and the other for averting evil with good.
Even if the meaning of the “Sayyi’ah” is “sin”, still the verse 6:60 allows the “sinner” to offset the balance of sins in his favor by a margin of 10:1.
[6:160] Whoever does a righteous work receives the reward for ten, and the one who commits a sin is requited for only one. No one suffers the slightest injustice
This is an excellent question. Sometime ago, an imam candidate at our local mosque delivered a sermon about "Divine forgiveness". He gave an example of a 90-year man who was reported to have sinned all his life but finally had his moment and turned to Allah (swt).  The imam said that Allah, not only forgave all his previous sins, but, in fact, transformed ALL of them into "good deeds".  Then he immediately referred to verse 25:70 so he would be able to ward off a possible question. A questioner confronted the imam after the khutba. The imam gave another example of a man (mentioned in a hadith) who murdered 100 people and wanted to know if he was still entitled for forgiveness. He was directed to visit a Muslim scholar who lived at a far-off place.  The murderer travelled but died on the way to the scholar.  The Paradise angels and the Hell angels disputed and finally agreed to measure the distance from the start of the travel to the scholar and found the murderer’s dead body closer in distance to the scholar--so Allah forgave all his murders!!!  The questioner was not satisfied...but he kept quiet.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 02:05:50 AM »
Salaam Irfan,

I think you may have responded to the wrong thread. Were you intending to respond to the following thread which discusses 25:70?

(Please note that the topic below had been initially started with an incorrect topic reference).

Topic: Ayah 59:70
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.msg3042#msg3042

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »

Yes, Truth Seeker.  Thanks for the correction.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 07:09:36 AM »
Peace,

Caveman was buried like a woman, leading scientists to question his sexual orientation.

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/archaeologists-unearth-5000-year-old-third-gender-caveman