Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Six Kalimat prescribed for Muslims

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Six Kalimat prescribed for Muslims
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:42:15 AM »

I know there are six Kalimat prescribed for Muslims but by whom I do not know. I am posting those Kalimat in the following.
The 6 Kalimas

http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/

The 6 (six) Kalimas are recorded in various books of knowledge, and are recited (and remembered) by people across the globe.
These kalimas were compiled together for children to memorise and learn the basic fundamentals of a Muslim's beliefs. They are not found altogether complete in any one hadith or narration from the Prophet (peace be upon him). However, some of them can be found individually in the narrations.
Listed below are the 6 well known Kalimas.

First Kalima

The Word of Purity (Tayyabah)

لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ

La ilaha ill Allah Muhammadur-Rasul Allah

(There is no God but Allah Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)

To Listen click here.

Second Kalima

The word of Testimony (Shahaadat)

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَحْدَه لَا شَرِيْكَ لَه، وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُهوَرَسُولُه

Ash-hadu an-La illaha ill Allahu, Wahdahu La Sharika lah, wa ash-Hadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhu wa Rasoolu

(I bear witness that no-one is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger)

To Listen click here.

Third Kalima

The word of Glorification (Tumjeed)

سُبْحَان لِلّه وَ الْحَمْدُ   لِلّهِ وَ لآ اِلهَ اِلّا اللّهُ، وَ اللّهُ اَكْبَرُ وَلا حَوْلَ وَلاَ قُوَّة  ِلَّا بِاللّهِ الْعَلِىّ الْعَظِيْم 

Subhan Allahu, wal Hamdu lillahi, wa la illaha ilAllahu, wallahu Akbar. wa La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah-al 'alii-al 'adheem

(Glory be to Allah and Praise to Allah, and there is no God But Allah, and Allah is the Greatest. And there is no Might or Power except with Allah.)

To Listen click here.

Fourth Kalima

The word of Unity (Tauhid)

لا الهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَحْدَهُ لا شَرِيْكَ لَهْ، لَهُ الْمُلْكُ وَ لَهُ الْحَمْدُ يُحْى وَ يُمِيْتُ وَ هُوَحَىُّ لَّا يَمُوْتُ اَبَدًا اَبَدًا ط ذُو الْجَلَالِ وَ الْاِكْرَامِ ط بِيَدِهِ الْخَيْرُ ط وَهُوَ عَلى كُلِّ شَئ ٍ قَدِيْرٌ ط

La ilaha illAllahu Wahdahu La Shareeka lahu, lahulmulk, wa lahulhamd, yuhyee wa yumeet, wa huwa hayy la yumoot abadan abada Dhul Jalaali waal Ikram beyadihi alkhayr, wa huwa 'ala kulli Shay'in Qadeer

(There is) none worthy of worship except Allah. He is only One. (There is) no partners for Him. For Him (is) the Kingdom. And for Him (is) the Praise. He gives life and acuses death. And He (is) Alive. He will not die, never, ever. Possessor of Majesty and Reverence. In His hand (is) the goodness. And He (is) the goodness. And He (is) on everything powerful.)

To Listen click here.

Fifth Kalima

The word of Penitence (Astaghfar)

اسْتَغْفِرُ اللّهَ رَبِّىْ مِنْ كُلِّ ذَنْبٍ اَذْنَبْتُه عَمَدًا اَوْ خَطَاً سِرًّا اَوْ عَلَانِيَةً وَاَتُوْبُ اِلَيْهِ مِنْ الذَّنْبِ الَّذِىْ اَعْلَمُ وَ مِنْ الذَّنْبِ الَّذِىْ لا اَعْلَمُ اِنَّكَ اَنْتَ عَلَّامُ الغُيُبِ وَ سَتَّارُ الْعُيُوْبِ و َغَفَّارُ الذُّنُوْبِ وَ لا حَوْلَ وَلا قُوَّةَ اِلَّا بِاللّهِ الْعَلِىِّ العَظِيْم

Astaghfirullaha Rabbi min kulli dhanbin adhnabtahu amadan aw khata'an, sirran aw alaniyatan, wa atubuhu ilayhi min adh-dhanb illadhi a'lamu, wa min adh-dhanb illadhi la a'lamu, innaka anta allamal ghuyub, wa sattar ul'uyoubi, wa ghaffarudh dhunub, wa la hawla wa la quwwatta illa billahil 'aliy-al 'adheem

(I seek forgiveness from Allah, my Lord, from every sin I committed knowingly or unknowingly, secretly or openly, and I turn towards Him from the sin that I know and from the sin that I do not know. Certainly You, You (are) the knower of the hidden things and the Concealer (of) the mistakes and the Forgiver (of) the sins. And (there is) no power and no strength except from Allah, the Most High, the Most Great)

To Listen click here.

Sixth Kalima

The words of rejecting disbelief (Rud-A-Kuffer)

Allahumma innii a'udhu bika min an ushrika bika shai-anw- wa ana a'lamu bihii. Was tagh fi ru ka limaa laa alamu bihee. Tubtu anhu wa tabarra-tu min al-kufri wash-shirki wal-kizdhbi wal-ghiibati wal-bid’ati wan-namiimati wal fawaahishi wal-buhtani w-al-ma’aasii kulliha. Wa aslamtu wa aquulu La illaha illAllahu Muhammadur RasulAllah

(O Allah! Certainly I seek protection with You from, that I associate partner with You anything and I know it. And I seek forgiveness from You for that I do not know it. I repended from it and I made myself free from disbelief and polytheism and the falsehood and the back-biting and the innovation and the tell-tales and the bad deeds and the blame and the disobedience, all of them. And I submit and I say (there is) none worthy of worship except Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of

Back

Back To Islam Awareness Homepage

Latest News about Islam and Muslims

Contact IslamAwareness@gmail.com for further information
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Six Kalimat prescribed for Muslims
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:46:40 AM »
Salam All I just wanted to know as who has prescribed these Kalimat ? These are mixture of Quranic Ayaat Please help me to understand. Thanks

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam Sardar Miyan

The Kalimas are simply statements of Islamic beliefs, prayers / supplications which are not sourced in their entirety from any one particular source. Rather, they originate from a compendium of both the Quran and later Islamic secondary sources.

The Quran does not demand that prayers, general supplications and statements of truth only be recited from the Quran. There is no intention to limit all humans communion with God to the Arabic of the Quran.

Therefore, could the early companions have recited such / similar words in their supplications? - possibly yes, was this a later tradition that developed? – likely yes. Does it really matter? – Not really in my humble opinion.

It is the sentiments contained within the words which are most important.

Regarding your question in your follow-up email to me “To sum up I would like to know if we can recite which appears to based on Secondary source."

If you find the words of the 'kalimas' meaningful and truthful, then I see no harm in using them. If you don't, you can simply ignore them and find suitable statements in your own language that reflect your sentiments.

As I have respectfully shared in a number of other writings, the Quran does not intend to rid communities of their traditions. Rather, it expects them to discern from them with the Quran as the furqan (criterion).

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 03:19:14 AM »
Thanks Bro JAI for clarification but I do not how a Non Quranic phrase " Lahula Wala Quwwat Illa Billah" has crept in the Kalimat.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
Dear brother Sardar,

It is simply an expression. No different from 'la quwwata illa bil-lahi' (no power except God) as found in the Quran (18:39). It is a truthful statement and factual. Whether or not one wants to recite it is their choice.

Peace and regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 05:06:32 AM »
Thanks