Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: farewell sermon

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
farewell sermon
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
Salam,

Prophet Muhammad's farewell sermon "....Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Quran and my example, the sunnah, and if you follow these you will never go astray. All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O Allah, that I have conveyed your message to your people".

Majority holds the belief that the "sahaba" knows or understands the best.  The  prophet could foretell the future.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
Re: farewell sermon
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
w/salaam,

There are several versions of his last sermon, e.g.
"...I have left among you the Book of Allah, and if you hold fast to it, you would never go astray...."
See Sahih Muslim, Book of Hajj, Book 7 , Number 2803

None knows the future, including Muhammad (5:109, 6:50, 7:188, 10:20, 11:31, 18:110, 27:65, 46:9, 81:24). Only God knows the future and this knowledge can be attained only through divine revelations/signs (3:44, 3:179, 11:49, 12:102, 30:2, 72:26-28).

And the icing on the cake, from the Traditional Ahadith, Sahih Bukhari:
Volume 9, Book 93, Number 477:
Narrated Masruq:

'Aisha said, "If anyone tells you that Muhammad has seen his Lord, he is a liar, for Allah says: 'No vision can grasp Him.' (6.103) And if anyone tells you that Muhammad has seen the Unseen, he is a liar, for Allah says: "None has the knowledge of the Unseen but Allah."

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
Salaam Wakas,

Apologize for not being clear.  My focus was not on Muhammad's prophecy.  I want to highlight the part that the future generations would understand the spirit of the Message better than the contemporaries of the era, if I may say so.  In my opinion, it debunks the need to imitate the Salafis.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:52:38 AM »
Salam Sister Hope, I can not find any reason behind well understanding of future Umah than those present at Prophets last sermon. Secondly what do you mean by  telling imitating the Salfis? Muslims imitating Salafis are few in number as believers of only Quran are more & increasing throughout the world
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
Peace brother,

I do not know what the original says but the translation I have read says: "All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O Allah, that I have conveyed your message to your people".    What is your understanding of this statement?  It seems to me that the Prophet is hoping that later generations will be in a better position to comprehend the message of his words.  Please correct me if I have misunderstood.  I meant sahaba not salafi.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »
Is it an Ayah or the statement of Prophet? If it is a Hadith I can not tell if it is correct.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
Salam sister Hope I do not remember to have read about this sentence that future generation would understand better than those present at that time. I will check all versions & let you know

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »
Peace,

the conclusion of his farewell sermon:

“O People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand my words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Qur'an and my example, the Sunnah and if you follow these you will never go astray.
All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me direcly. Be my witness oh Allah that I have conveyed your message to your people."

I believe the message would be the revelation, the quran in the recited form.  What would be his words that they were asked to pass on?  Does he mean the Quran or his words as his sunnah?  Why would I understand better or have the potential to grasp it better than his current audience?

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:48:19 AM »
Salaam.

Q:  What would be his words that they were asked to pass on?

Ans:  Dear all, when (according to Wakas) there are several versions of the so called last sermon, is there any point in straining ourselves with the hadees? It is a blind street that will take us nowhere.

Wallahu A'lam.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »
Salam All Bro Wakas & Bro Ismail Saith are right. It is based on Hadith written two hundred years after the Prophets demise