Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are Prawns / Scampi's Halal to eat?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Are Prawns / Scampi's Halal to eat?
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:48:10 AM »
Salam Joseph,

There is a Verse in the Glorious Quran, which mentions something like, '' eat from the Land that  which is Pure & Clean'' Or Clean and Pure, I think the Arabic word is 'Tayyab'?

This Verse, Is it referring to something Specific? OR is it just a 'ststement' from GOD Almighty, stating 'eat the good that I have provided for you'?

How should we best understand this?

There are Muslims (True Muslims!) I know, i.e. followers Only of Quran, who say THIS verse means Certain Sea Creatures, Like Scampi?? are  'scavenger ' type creatures and not permissible using this verse?

Any light form your point will be welcomed!

Peace

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Are Prawns Halal?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »
Walaikum salaam,

All sea food has been made lawful to eat. Note the word 'Bahr' denotes any large accumulation of water, whether derived from seas, rivers, lakes or ponds. The pronoun in 'ta'amuhu' (literally it's food) relates to the word Bahr and this indicates all manner of seafood.

"Lawful (Arabic: uhilla) to you is the pursuit of game (Arabic: saydu) of the sea (Arabic: bahri) and its use for food (Arabic: ta'amuhu), for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel; but forbidden is the pursuit of game of the land as long as you are in the sacred precincts or in pilgrim garb. And fear God, to Whom you shall be gathered back"

I think you refer to verse 2:168, 'O ye people! Eat of what is on earth, Lawful (halalan) and good (tayyiban)'

The word used is 'tayyiban' (good) but it also says 'halal' (lawful). The Quran states categorically in the Quran what is 'halal' and what isn't. The word is 'fil-ard' (in the earth) which is a general statement for the earth, sea and everything found within it. I don't think this verse can be extended to scampi's etc.

Prawns, scampi's etc are a catch of the sea, therefore they are halal to eat in my personal opinion based on the Quran.

I hope this helps,

Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell