Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The real purpose of ablution

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
The real purpose of ablution
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:28:00 AM »
Peace be upon you.

Ablution for me, is one of the strangest practises i perform everyday because I can't figure out what is it's real purpose.
I did some research and found that ablution mostly isn't about physical cleansing but more about freeing your mind of thoughts. Why? It's because when you wash your face with the water, your heart rate lowers which in turn makes you more relaxed. The phenomenom is called "mammalian diving reflex". I don't know if this works with clean earth and I don't know what role does it play to wash other parts of the body for this matter. I doubt about this idéa because I believe we don't have to perform ablution for every prayer.

Other idéas are that it could be spiritual cleansing (I don't know what it means), symbol of cleanliness, the importance of idéa of cleaning and God wants to test our obedience. The last mentioned sounds not right. Why would God prescribe us things which are meaningless?

Another strange thing is that it may be possible to hold your ablution by not urinating for one minut to 10 hours -- time breaks ablution! In addition do you know in which way does urinating invalidate my ablution?

If I could know the purpose, I would know why I should be thankful for God.

What is your opinion about this matter?

Regards,
Haji

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
Re: The real purpose of ablution
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »
Salaam.

You said:

“I did some research and found that ablution mostly isn't about physical cleansing but more about freeing your mind of thoughts. Why? It's because when you wash your face with the water, your heart rate lowers which in turn makes you more relaxed. The phenomenon is called "mammalian diving reflex.”

Thank you for the scientific revelation. I am always waiting for such information, in order to pounce upon it and devour it. It is my passion.

Ordinarily, I have always profoundly felt the salutary effect of washing the face with water. What a world of difference washing makes to our mental state apart from the physical benefits! Nevertheless, water is such a blessed thing! “And We send down from the sky water charged with blessing…” (50:9-10-11).

The following is partly the result of my reflections on certain remarks in Thafseer Bayanullinnas (urdu) by Kwaja Ahmeduddeen of Amritsar, India, written during the 2nd quarter of the last century :

In Al Quran there are two remarks praising cleanliness in general: 2:222, & 9:108.

Of course they are general statements.

After all, with respect to every human being, the need to clean oneself from extreme filth arises every day. And the extreme importance of such cleanliness, everyone recognizes unequivocally. Therefore the Quran doesn’t mention it in so many words.

According to the above mentioned Thafseer, Wudu is especially for congregational prayers, and, even there, it is only optional.

It is speculated, not without reason, that over and above man’s natural habit of cleansing himself of extreme filth, he is being asked to present himself as much as possible fresh and glowing in public especially while performing congregational religious service.

Moreover, the numerous masail (issues and solutions) much adored in the corridors of religion, are man-made, and irrelevant to changing times. Habitual repression (in the name of ‘guarding’ Wudu) of the poisonous filth that collects in our intestines may cause leaching of harmful germs and other poison into the bloodstream, and thus pollute the whole body. 

Thayammum does impart a degree of freshness.

I have seen flocks of birds in the woods performing dust-bath in the evening before retiring for the night, during summer, when water is scarce.

Also, earth is a convenient, universally available - although not a thorough - aid for cleansing in an emergency, like in a parched countryside, until water is made available.

Thayammum also is, like Wudu, described as a consummation of the basic cleanse, and the basic cleanse is not described in so many words.

The traditionalists would have it that that is where the importance of hadees becomes manifest!

Instead, this is where the dire need to use our God-given intellect becomes manifest:

“…And He puts filth upon those who do not use their intellect.” (10:100)

This stand of the Qur’an is diametrically opposite to what religious leaders would have us believe: that we should not question religious injunctions, for they are beyond human intelligence!

Of course, man-made interpolations into virgin religion are straightaway detectable by the intellect.

Allah is categorical that even virgin religion should stand the test of intelligent inquiry.

Throughout the Qur’an, Allah appeals to our intelligence. 

So God bless your quest to find the rationale behind Wudu and Thyammum. 

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:01:57 AM »
We are supposed to follow what Allah says in Quran not to question it's reason as we are not wise as Allah is. The reason behind Wadu with water & Tyamum with soil is best known to Allah. But we know well that the water cleans the dirt & soil also cleans the dirt in second place therefore it is be used when water is not available or one is not supposed to use water in some circumstances.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:10:32 AM »
Salaam.

No doubt, a true believer obeys God without questioning Him. See 2:131

But, questioning His motive or wisdom regarding His statement or work, and beseeching Him for an explanation regarding the same (or at least pondering over the same) in order to satisfy the heart are two quite different things. See 2:260

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait. 

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:45:03 AM »
Thanks for your answers. My goal was to find out why I should be thankful for God about this matter (see 5:6). For me it's not the same feelings of thanksgiving if I don't know why. Now I think that purpose of ablution is just to make us calm, ready for prayer and give us the feeling of cleanliness.

@Sardar Miyan
I wouldn't question God's message if I would understand the reason. What if I'm wrong believing that is what God want us to say? Maybe the real meaning of it was to not question the truth (when it comes to you). Otherwise it would be better to not believe until you find the real truth.

@Ismail
Well I'm glad to see that you liked this science but one thing I just want you to say is that feelings do matter alot. If we would be overly intelligent, we would become kind of computers and if we would be overly instictive, we would become like animals. We need the mixture of both!
Think of the word cold and feel it, it's your emotions which tells you what it is (gives you knowledge about it). The same goes what God tells us to do -- to remeber Him. When you think of the word God, think of what you feel. Peace, goodness, truth, light etcetera. Now think what you do when you are praying to God. Isn't it wonderful?
You wonder why you have to believe in God? Please watch this intresting video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYz0eREf9f0 -- it has three parts.

God bless you all!

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »
Salaam.

Is a transcript of the video available?

Regards,
A Ismail Sait.

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »
Alejkum assalam.

I don't know. But you can ask him about that.

Regards,
Haji

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:16:15 AM »
Bro Haji You have posted the Video link therefore you know if Transcript is availble or not

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 03:55:51 AM »
I must have misundestood the meaning of the word transcript. I thought he meant a download link and therefore I answered him to contact the owner. I'm sorry, it was my bad. Thanks for your correction.

Regards,
Haji

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 07:25:12 AM »
There is nothing in the video referred to about the subject.

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »
SOLVED:
The answer lied in the verses. See this: "http://www.salaatforum.com/index.php?id=2147".
(Wudhu = Ablution will help prepare mentally for congregational prayer. Tayammum = Dry ablution.)

This makes perfect sense to me. Thank God for this. :)

@Sardar Miyan
Sorry, I stray a little bit. Remove them if you wish.

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »
Salaam.

In the translation of 4:43 that you have presented, the following words should be within brackets:

else you might say senseless words that disturb the assembly. Physical cleanliness contributes to moral purity.

For, they are not found in the Arabic Text of Verse 4:43.

Moreover, in the translation of Verse 4:43 that you have presented, a portion of the original Arabic Text of this verse has been wholly left out without giving the translation:

Illa ‘aaberee sabeelin”. These Qur’anic words mean: “except those who (in a state of ceremonial impurity, and out of necessity,) cross over (through a mosque, or pass by the congregation).”

You may verify by checking more than fiity English translations of 4:43 in the following link:

http://www.islamawakened.com/quran/4/43/default.htm

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
Salam Ismail.

I've searched for answers in many places over the internet. I've looked for answers for the same matter in other religions too, such as Christianity and Judaism. None of them made any sense to me but that one I mentioned. I understand you, no one wants to stray off of the right path. But the truth is that it doesn't make much sense if you don't understanding of what you are doing and have the feeling in your heart of making a mistake. I would happy to see if someone could point out a better alternative, but sadly I haven't seen one yet.

Regards,
Haji

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »
Salaam.

It is an obvious, universally acknowledged fact, and goes without saying, that whatever kind of religious ablution is done, irrespective of what religion, it does prepare a person (physically, or psychologically, or in both respects,) for whatever religious act is done afterwards.

Thank God, that, in the translation you have presented, this fact is mentioned only within brackets.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.