Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Houri

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Houri
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »
Salam Alaikon Joseph:

I was just reading your website and I understand what the Quran says about "Hur" and how they are us recreated in the afterlife. However, what is "Houri"? Are they servants? I used to be so bothered by the fact that men will have many wives in heaven. Thanks for clearing things up. Some Muslims feel as though they have to believe the secondary sources but if it doesn't make sense then something is not right. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Houri
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
Dear Sister,

Wa alaikum assalam

The word in the Quran is 'Hur' which is itself a plural of 'hawra' and can be argued as a description of companions in paradise that righteous believers will be paired up with. I feel when we think of paradise we should not think of our earthly gender existence in the same sense whilst projecting our existence in the hereafter. We will be created completely anew in the Hereafter (56.35) untouched (56.36) and of similar age (56.37).

It can be argued that a ‘Hur’ is for any believer in paradise regardless of gender.

I have discussed its meaning a little in the following article.

SEXY FEMALE VIRGINS FOR MEN IN PARADISE - REALLY?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/sexy%20female%20virgins%20for%20men%20in%20heaven%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell