Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 'Tawakkul' or reliance on Allah

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
'Tawakkul' or reliance on Allah
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:32:21 AM »
Dear brother Joseph,

Salam alaikum

I am a guy from India who stumbled onto your website when trying to find the meaning of the word khimar, I ended up reading not just that article but a lot of your other articles as well. Your articles have helped me immensely in my spiritual journey by making the path a lot clearer, and I wholeheartedly thank you for that brother. May Allah continue to grant you wisdom, and may he grant you and your family goodness in this life as well as in the hereafter.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your thoughts with me on the matter of tawakkul or reliance on Allah. A few people that I know take it to a point where it becomes fatalism, they reject medical assistance even when they are in dire need of it saying that it is Allah that cures and not the medicine. While I vehemently disagree with them on that issue, I do find that I have my share of problems too with finding the balance between relying on one's effort and relying on Allah. Looking forward to your reply brother.

Warm Regards,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: 'Tawakkul' or reliance on Allah
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 04:34:17 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

Verses of the Quran exquisitely present the balance that is expected from us. We are expected to the best we can with regards our efforts and endeavours, and when we feel we have done so, we should put our trust in God and leave the matter with Him.

003:159
“…and consult with them (Arabic: washawir'hum) in the matter. And when you have decided, then put thy trust in God (fatawakkal ala l’lahi). Indeed! God loves those who put their trust (in Him)"

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

The Arabic word 'istata'a' means to be able, can or to be capable of. Therefore, given the above verse, one is only expected to the best they can whilst striving in the way of God.

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph

RELATED:

[1] Tawakkal Ala Allah
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/301381193332348

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell