Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What is the meaning of Al-Farj?

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
What is the meaning of Al-Farj?
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:19:10 AM »
Salamun Alaikum, Br. Joseph!

The word Farj appears in Al-Anbiya, Chapter 21, Verse 91 and At-Tahrim, Chapter 66, Verse 12 . . What does the word mean? - A Christian told me that it means a vagina/pussy.

ومريم ابنت عمران التي أحصنت فرجها فنفخنا فيه من روحنا وصدقت بكلمات ربها وكتبه وكانت من القانتين

If we use a translator:

Google translate:          Her vagina
Ginger:                          Her Vagina
Bing Translator:             Her Vagina
SDL Free Translation:           Vagina

Farj - Pussy, Relief, Vulva.

So, are majority of the translations wrong when it comes to this word?

Sahih International
And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her garment] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient.

Muhsin Khan
And Maryam (Mary), the daughter of 'Imran who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (the sleeve of her shirt or her garment) through Our Ruh [i.e. Jibrael (Gabriel)], and she testified to the truth of the Words of her Lord [i.e. believed in the Words of Allah: "Be!" and he was; that is 'Iesa (Jesus) - son of Maryam (Mary); as a Messenger of Allah], and (also believed in) His Scriptures, and she was of the Qanitin (i.e. obedient to Allah).

Pickthall
And Mary, daughter of 'Imran, whose body was chaste, therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and was of the obedient.

Yusuf Ali
And Mary the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants).

Shakir
And Marium, the daughter of Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We breathed into her of Our inspiration and she accepted the truth of the words of her Lord and His books, and she was of, the obedient ones.

Dr. Ghali
And Maryam (Mary) daughter of Imran, who kept safe her private parts, (i.e., safeguarded) so We breathed in it of Our Spirit, and she sincerely (believed) in the Words of her Lord, and His Books; and she was one of the devout.

So, does this word mean (Vagina, pussy, vulva etc.) or does it mean something else? Can you please help me here?

Wassalam
Ijaz, A.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: What is the meaning of Al-Farj?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 05:43:52 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam Ijaz Ahmad,

In the source link below, I shared the following regarding this term:

EVIDENCE 1 - The expression 'lifurujihin hafizun'

In verses 23:1-7, God describes successful believers as those that have humility in their prayer (23:2), they avoid vain talk (23:3), give zakat / engage in purification works (23:4) and those who 'guard their modesty' - lifurujihin hafizun. (23:5)

A more literal understanding of the word 'farj' (plural furuj) in the expression 'lifurujihin hafizun' is a reference to the private parts of both males and females. It is a reference to the 'pudenda' (sex organ) which is considered indecent to expose.

Source: http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=821.0

I hope that clarifies, God willing.
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell