Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Followers of Jesus will be above those who reject!

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
Followers of Jesus will be above those who reject!
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »
Salamun Alaikum!

I don't understand part of this verse, Christians quote this verse to prove that they're followers of Jesus', thus they will be above those who reject.

003:055   
For God said: "O Jesus, I will terminate your life, and raise you to Me, and cleanse you of those who have rejected, and make those who have followed you above those who have rejected until the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, all of you,so I will judge between you in what it was that you disputed."

Does this verse speak about the followers of Jesus at his time/ministry?

Peace,
Ijaz. A

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Followers of Jesus will be above those who reject!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:26 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam Ijaz,

You share:

Does this verse speak about the followers of Jesus at his time/ministry?

Arguably, yes.

The primary focus of Prophet Jesus's preaching would be to capture the immediate audience that came into contact with the Prophetic ministry. After the end of his ministry, any implication as to whom the message was intended for afterwards, would be a secondary consideration. Somewhat related, I also feel it is worth considering the contents of the following article as to whom Prophet Jesus's ministry was primarily intended to target.

WAS PROPHET JESUS (pbuh) SENT TO THE GENTILES?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/jesus%20ministry%20FM3.htm

Of course, at the time of the Prophet Muhammad's ministry (some centuries later), there were those that followed the message of Prophet Jesus correctly, whilst others did not. No doubt there was a division of theological perspectives. Hence, the Quran sought to clarify.

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell