Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Islam and Family Conflicts

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Islam and Family Conflicts
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:05:29 AM »
Dear Joseph,

Thank you so much for your excellent website! May God bless  and reward you for providing so much helpful and interesting information about Islam. It has helped me to see Islam much more clearly and to reinforce my desire to convert to Islam.

Regarding conversion to Islam, I have a problem and I wonder if you might have any advice. My wife is very upset that I want to become a Muslim. She hates Islam (more accurately, she hates what she mistakenly perceives Islam to be), and doesn't want to talk about it or let me explain anything. We love each other dearly and I don't want this to be a problem in our marriage, but I fear it will. We have struck a truce on the matter-I will keep Islam out of her sight, never pray in her presence or read the Quran where she can see me reading it. I am willing to do this for the present to satisfy her, but I don't see it as a long-term solution.

I am hopeful because my attitude to Islam was once identical to hers, so I know it is possible to change one's mind completely about Islam. I pray that God will open her eyes and heart.

If you have any advice or if you know of any similar cases to mine and how they were handled, please let me know. Any advice or insights would be very welcome and appreciated.

Thank you so much and may God bless you always.

Best regards,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Islam and Family Conflicts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 02:24:28 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

As quick advice, I would be inclined to recommend removing 'Arabic-specific, oft politically charged' terminology, which for many with critical attitudes towards Islam, carry dark connotations. 'Allah' can simply be referred to as 'God', ‘The God of Abraham’ or 'Intelligent Being' and ‘Islam’ (which is the religion of truth for all prophets) can be simply referred to as 'The Abrahamic Faith'. You can speak about the Quran along with Biblical literature simply as 'Abrahamic Scriptures'. Most of the obligations common to believers are also found in other Abrahamic faiths such as prayer, fasting, not eating pork, drinking etc., so there is no need to overtly present it as the 'Arab Muslim faith', with Arabic specific terminology.

This may assist you in dialogue and assist those not so conversant with Islam to understand the religion for what it really is, devoid of politically charged terminology.

For example, in some circles, I simply describe myself as a 'believer' and if asked further, I refuse to be compartmentalised, yet whilst clearly stating that I wholeheartedly believe in the veracity of the last Abrahamic scripture given my own ardent research, whilst remaining a firm believer of the truth in all previous scriptures. I also attest that I am convinced that the individual that brought us the final scripture was arguably inspired, and operated as part of a prophetic ministry no different to those that had come before him.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell