Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Question regarding 4 testimonies in 24:6

Offline baharinizam

• View Profile
Question regarding 4 testimonies in 24:6
« on: December 28, 2014, 09:48:24 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

I have a question regarding following verses Surah Al-Nur:6:

And those who accuse their wives [of adultery] and have no witnesses except themselves - then the witness of one of them [shall be] four testimonies [swearing] by Allah that indeed, he is of the truthful. Surah Al-Nur:6

From the verses clearly stated that it's used "AZWAJAHUM" (masculine) then it will refer to both MALE and FEMALE. But I will see the problem If the accusation are come from FEMALE (FEMALE accuse his SPOUSE for adultery). Because according to the following verses:

But it will prevent punishment from her if she gives four testimonies [swearing] by Allah that indeed, he is of the liars.
Surah Al-Nur:8

If the accusation was came from FEMALE then there is NO counter testimonies from MALE because in Surah Al-Nur:8 clearly stated that counter testimonies are only valid for FEMALE only.

I hope brother Joseph or any other member can light me regarding the verses.

God Willing;

Bahari

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Question regarding 4 testimonies in 24:6
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 03:35:07 AM »
As-salamu alaykum

The Quran deals with the most pressing of matters; the protection of a woman's chastity within the society that she resides in and curtailing / abolishing unwarranted charges against chaste women (24:4-5).

If you re-read verses (24:6-7), it is already clear that for either spouse (male or female), their 4 testimonies with a fifth of invoking God's wrath would stand as sufficient defence against any punishment / retributions.

Verse 24:8 simply re-emphasises the edicts already firmly established in verses 24:6-7 and by doing so, the Quran once again stresses the importance of protecting a woman's integrity against baseless accusations. As this is the focus, the reiteration to include males is arguably unnecessary.

The phrase 'wayadra-u' is possibly better translated as "And it shall avert" arguably implying a confirmation of an earlier edict. The verb 'dara'a' means to drive off or avert.

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline baharinizam

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding 4 testimonies in 24:6
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:04:53 AM »
Salaamun Alaika,

Thanks brother Joseph for your reply. I think I already understanding it based on your explanation.  I'm in the proses to ponder and understanding
the true meaning of Quran, but sometimes It make me confuse from time to time regarding the verses. 'WASWAS' or unwanted whisper always come to me each time I tried to ponder and understand the verses. Thanks to God I came across with your website with the more reasonable and clear deduction regarding Quran.

May Allah/God bless you with your effort, Insya Allah....