Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Head Coverage During Prayer

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Head Coverage During Prayer
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:31:22 PM »
To Joseph:

Question asked on Facebook thread below:

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/487157614754704

Many times I've faced one issue in traditional Muslim society - the head covering during the prayer, as it's not mentioned anywhere in the Quran. I pray without a head cover, which usually causes "finger pointing" on me by other muslim women and once even lead to a huge argument. In fact nobody of Muslimas say a word when they see non hijabi muslim, but they just get shocked to see a Muslim woman praying without a headscarf.

If the ritual of the prayer was transmitted by generations, does it mean we have to adopt things which are commonly practiced though there is no single word about it in the Quran? Or we can refer "garments" to a "head over"? then why for women only?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Head Coverage During Prayer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:36:25 PM »
Dear sister,

As-salamu alaykum

Given the inherent flexibility in the prayer routine, it is a matter of choice given the situation whether the hair is covered or not. The main directive for both genders is implicitly good, wholesome, modest adornment or attire (7:31).

However, if you are praying in a congregation or amongst those that feel head covering is mandatory during prayer whether religious or as modest attire, I personally find there is absolutely no wisdom by causing undue disharmony, rancour or to upset the congregation.

We are encouraged to assimilate [1], especially during prayer; to come to common terms, arguably in the widest sense possible.

For example, when I am amongst a Sunni congregation (regardless of what madhab), I pray like the congregation in situ. If I am amongst the Shi'a, I pray with their routine. I have even prayed to God with the People of the Book who I find closely represent truth. My purpose is to pray to God, worship Him with all my heart and not to cause undue hardship for others or become a source of agitation for them.

I humbly believe that is the beauty inherent in the Quran-centric approach. It is an 'encompassing' approach and allows inherent flexibility. I believe that too, to be a Divine blessing.

I hope that helps, God willing,
Joseph

REFERENCE:

[1] THE IMPORTANCE OF CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER
http://quransmessage.com/articles/congregational%20prayer%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell