Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Story of Prophet breaking stone idols.

Offline Alaeddin

• View Profile
Story of Prophet breaking stone idols.
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »
I was wondering on your opinion of the story of the prophet breaking the stone idols in the Kaba. Do you think this happened? What was the reasoning behind it as couldn't it be seen as a violation of freedom of religion? Thanks in advance.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Story of Prophet breaking stone idols.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »
Salamun Alaikum.

I have no proof from the Quran that the incident you refer to occurred so your follow up question would not apply.

However, Prophet Abraham did do a similar thing by breaking idols (37:93; 21:58). Analysing all the relevant verses which capture this incident in the Quran, it seems highly likely to me that he was attempting to manifest a certain truth by way of argumentation (21:63-65). In the end, when they refused to see his perspective, he left them to their devices.

"Those are a people who have passed away. Theirs is that which they earned, and yours is that which you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do"

I hope this helps, God willing.

Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell