Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Why Does the Torah Not Have any Verses Mentioning the Hereafter?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Why Does the Torah Not Have any Verses Mentioning the Hereafter?
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
Salam Joseph.

Surah Ala (87), talks of the previous books like the Torah having mention of the hereafter. But the Torah doesn't talk about the hereafter. I realize the Torah has been changed but it seems surprising that if there were many verses discussing the hereafter, would they all be erased from the Torah?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Why Does the Torah Not Have any Verses Mentioning the Hereafter?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »
Walaikum salaam.

I  mention in a related post on the QM forum that the "Tanakh's focus seems to be on how to live life within God's ordained religion, this does not imply that it is devoid of a concept of the afterlife"

The Torah also indicates clear references to support the concept of rewards and punishment in the hereafter.

For example, the Torah talks about great patriarchs being "gathered to their people". The Hebrew 'acaph' (aw-saf) means to receive and gather. This does not mean to be buried in the same location.  Not all these patriarchs were buried in the same place!

It means a spiritual gathering in the hereafter possibly amongst righteous ancestors.

KJV  Genesis 25:8
"Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people"

KJV  Deuteronomy 32:50
"And die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people"

KJV  Genesis 49:33
"And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people"

This concept is clearly supported by following Quranic verses:

084.007-9
Then he who is given his record in his right hand, soon will his account be taken by an easy reckoning and he will turn to his people, rejoicing!"

Those that fall out of God's grace would be 'cut off' (Hebrew: karath (kawrath)).

KJV  Genesis 17:14
"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant"

Again this is a spiritual disconnect in the hereafter. 'From his people' intimates the righteous of his people in the hereafter.

KJV  Exodus 31:14
"Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people"

Therefore I do find support for verses 87:18-19 in that there is mention of the fact that the hereafter is a better place (gathered amongst the people) and those that prefer the present life will be 'cut off' from such grace. This is further supported by 84:7-9.

I hope this helps, God willing.

Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell