Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Mass Cutting and Removing of Verses of the Torah

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Mass Cutting and Removing of Verses of the Torah
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »

If the teachings of Prophets got twisted into something like the fantastic mythologies of Hind gods and goddesses, I guess I should not be surprised if there was a massive cutting and removing of many verses of the Torah.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Mass Cutting and Removing of Verses of the Torah
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »
Salamun Alaikum.

I am not denying 'alterations' or deliberate obfuscation by the hands of those of the previous scriptures. This is clear by the Quran itself.

005:015
"O People of the Book, surely there has come to you our Messenger, making clear to you much of what you used to conceal (Arabic: Tukh'funa) of the scripture and overlooking / forgiving much (Arabic: wa-ya'fu an kathiran). Surely has come to you from God a light and a clear book"

The Arabic word 'Tukh'funa' comes from the root KHA-FA-YA which carries the meaning of what is unapparent / has become imperceptible / has become dim to the sight / or suppressed, or obscured to the mind. It also carries the meaning of something which has become 'concealed'. Therefore the Quran within context of its Arabic usage clearly recognises that certain aspects of the previous scriptures have become gradually concealed and deems it fit to expound on some of them. It is also not the intention of the Quran to deal with each and every narrative of the Bible hence the term 'wa-yafu an kathiran' (forgive, pardon, pass over, relinquish or remit a whole or part or indeed pardon much)

002:079
"Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands (Arabic: Bi-Aydihim), and then say: "This is from God," so that they may take from it a small price!- Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby"

However with respect, I do not support your assertion of a 'massive cutting and removing' implying a wholesale corruption of the Jewish text. The Quran also confirms the Torah (and Injeel) that was coexistent with the revelation given to the Prophet.

005.048 (Part)
"To thee We revealed the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that is between the hands (coexistent Torah and Bible), and guarding it by determining what is true and false (Arabic: wa-muhayminan): so judge between them by what God has revealed..."

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell