Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Mary or Miriam? Contradiction?

Offline Star

• View Profile
Mary or Miriam? Contradiction?
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:26:43 AM »
Salam :)
The Quran says Mary was the daughter of Imran. However, isn't it generally accepted that Imran was the father of Moses? It also says Mary is Aaron's sister, but isn't Aaron the brother of Moses? Miriam was apparently a sister of Moses, and many people say the Quran confuses Mary and Miriam. Even Wikipedia, which is supposedly unbiased, says this. In the Bible, Joachim is Mary's father. Is Joachim the same as Imran, or did the Bible get it wrong? Also, why do Mary and Miriam appear to have been switched around in the Quran? They're different people, so this shouldn't have happened. Any ideas? :D

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Mary or Miriam? Contradiction?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:33:10 AM »
Mary is called as Marium or Mirium Arabic and she wea not the daugther of Moses.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »
Let me clarify. Miriam is the sister of Moses. Mary is the mother of Jesus. Miriam's father's name is supposed to be Amran or Imran, and her other brother's name is Aaron. Mary's father is also called Imran in the Quran, and Aaron is called her brother. However Christian theology says Mary's father was a different man called Joachim. Does the Quran mix up these two women?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:17:58 PM »
Let me clarify. Miriam is the sister of Moses. Mary is the mother of Jesus. Miriam's father's name is supposed to be Amran or Imran, and her other brother's name is Aaron. Mary's father is also called Imran in the Quran, and Aaron is called her brother. However Christian theology says Mary's father was a different man called Joachim. Does the Quran mix up these two women?

Dear Mia666,

As-salamu alaykum

I trust that the following article will clarify the matter.

MARY - SISTER OF AARON (pbuh)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/mary%20sister%20of%20aaron%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:41:40 AM »
Salam!!!  ;D ;D ;D *goes crazy upon obtaining Joseph Islam's reply*

Thank you for the article. It did help clear things up. So Mary is not literally Aaron's sister. I still have one question--is the Joachiam mentioned in the Bible the same as Imran, Mary's father?

:)

Mariyah

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:42:43 AM »
As-salaamu 'Alaykum!

Brother Joseph has written a superb article. However, since I'm a Quran-centric, I've no problem to take understanding from the ahaadith.
The Prophet (pbuh) explained this:

Narrated Al-Mughirah bin Shu'bah:
"The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) sent me to Najran. They said to me: 'Do you people not recite: O sister of Harun (19:28) - while between Musa and 'Eisa there is such (gap) as there is?' I did not know how to respond to them. So when I returned to the Prophet (ﷺ), I told him about that, and he said: 'Why didn't you tell them that they were named after their Prophets and righteous people before them.'"

http://www.sunnah.com/urn/641750
http://www.sunnah.com/muslim/38/13

إنَّهم كانوا يُسمُّونَ بأنبيائِهمْ و الصَّالِحينَ قبلَهمْ

الراوي:المغيرة بن شعبة المحدث:الألباني المصدر:صحيح الجامع الجزء أو الصفحة:2442 حكم المحدث:صحيح

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
I like the usage of the hadith in this context. Hadiths have no religious authority, but that doesn't mean that they are inventions of Satan. They can be used for historical context and explanations when needed. Yay Quran-centric ;)