Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Women Modest Dress Example

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
Re: Women Modest Dress Example
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »
Salaam mia666,

You said:

Also, I have to say that it is very sad how "modest" dressing is only stressed for women. It's like men can walk around and look at women and do whatever perverted things they want, and it's always the women's fault--because they were dressed "inappropriately". Sigh.

To the contrary, a certain manner of dressing and cooperation is prescribed for both genders in 24:30-31. Men are equally responsible for dealing with themselves. In addition to this, they should be able to control themselves. Looking at a woman's hair should not make them do bad things. If it does, then they should see a doctor. It's that simple.

What you say is absolutely true. The burden/responsibility of dressing modestly must be shared by both parties; men are just as responsible to dress modestly so as to not sexually arouse a woman (not being his wife) as women are so as to not sexually arouse a man (not being her husband). In fact, this (responsibility being shared by both parties) is what the Quran demands when in 24:30-31 it instructs BOTH men AND women to lower their gaze and dress modestly (neither placing all the burden/responsibility on the women nor on the men). Therefore, men have just as much duty/responsibility to cover what may appear lustful (to women). Any revealing parts which may cause undue attention should be covered by both parties.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »
Sister mia666, There is called " Satar" for men & women which mean what to hide & what to show.
For men from waist to knees to hide while women to hide from  nech to anckel and hands upto wrist as per Hadees narrations. Therefore the hands shown for the Model have to cover up to appear Muslim   
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 11:46:03 AM »
Salam Hassan, thank you for your reply :)

Sardar, I'm confused. I thought we didn't do hadiths around here. In fact you complained about them in your other posts. ???

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Salam everyone, :)

Sstikstoff: Please look at the articles I cited above for head-coverings. They're not compulsory, but they're the standard in many societies.

Sardar: You're saying the girl in the picture looks like she's not dressed in a "Muslim" way. What is a "Muslim" way, I must ask? Are we supposed to dress in shalwars and black shrouds that look like Darth Vader costumes (sorry, I had to say that :) )? These are cultural types of clothing, not religious types. Christian women who live in supposedly sharia-compliant places like Saudi Arabia also wear the black dresses. These kinds of clothing are cultural and not religious.

I see no problem with her hair being loose. I mean, it's not covered in fake flowers or anything.

As for her arms, I see no issue with that either. Judging by the place I live in, that dress is quite modest. It might be different where you live. Here, adult women walk the streets in Daisy Dukes at the height of winter. So that dress is basically what people would wear to church service. Except for the slit at the bottom--I could do without that. :)

Adam: There's nothing wrong with wearing western clothing, as long as it doesn't show anything unnecessary. God does not want hardship for us. He wants us to dress modestly for the places we live in. You're right, "sharia compliant airline services" are hilariously ridiculous. Anyway, please don't feel constrained by anything your government is doing. You can make good choices without their interference. :D

Mia
I fully agree .....
“And no example do they bring to you but We bring to you the truth and the BEST TAFSEER (EXEGESIS).” 25:33

The best commentary of the Qur’an is the Qur’an itself!

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »
Salam All...

Well..i have seen many articles supporting that...covering head is not compulsory according to Quran...but modesty is compulsory...
So...does that include covering arms too?...well...according to Indian culture...mostly we wear...salwar and kameez...covering...legs totally...revealing only feets..but..with regard to the arms...some wear...sleeveless..and..some wear.. covering half hands..and covering quarter part of the hands...so..what should we do..with regard to the arms?...should we cover fully...?...or covering some part is enough?..

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:42 PM »
Salam All...

Well..i have seen many articles supporting that...covering head is not compulsory according to Quran...but modesty is compulsory...
So...does that include covering arms too?...well...according to Indian culture...mostly we wear...salwar and kameez...covering...legs totally...revealing only feets..but..with regard to the arms...some wear...sleeveless..and..some wear.. covering half hands..and covering quarter part of the hands...so..what should we do..with regard to the arms?...should we cover fully...?...or covering some part is enough?..

In human anatomy, the arm is the upper limb of the body, comprising regions between the glenohumeral joint (shoulder joint) and the elbow joint. In common usage the arm extends to the hand. It can be divided into the upper arm (brachium), the forearm (antebrachium), and the hand (manus).

Reflecting on the total arguments presented in this forum & verses of Quran, Half hand covering will be modest in my opinion.
“And no example do they bring to you but We bring to you the truth and the BEST TAFSEER (EXEGESIS).” 25:33

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
Salam..Sstikstof..

Thank you very much for your answer...bt i have one more doubt...check the picture in the below link..and...is it not ok to cover our arms till tat part?..i mean...as shown in the picture...can you please tell...

http://www.utsavfashion.in/salwar/off-white-cotton-readymade-churidar-kameez/ktv18-itemcode

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 07:33:10 PM »
Salam..Sstikstof..

Thank you very much for your answer...bt i have one more doubt...check the picture in the below link..and...is it not ok to cover our arms till tat part?..i mean...as shown in the picture...can you please tell...

http://www.utsavfashion.in/salwar/off-white-cotton-readymade-churidar-kameez/ktv18-itemcode
This point is the issue here, that is being discussed. For the answer you will need deeper reflection of the quran as this hasn't been mentioned specifically under the term 'modest' as per society norm. People are still confused about modesty. For example, in usa cloths without sleeve is modest. But in Asia your referred link image is considered as modest. In arab countries, full body coverage refers to modesty. Finally, Quran tells us to be modest as per society norm and minimum requirements are addressed which include covering the chest to feet generally and beautification is limited as to society norm to avoid attraction sexually. Rest finer details can be acquired from joseph Islam himself owner of this forum.

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
Salam :),

I think you have to figure it out based on where you live. India is not like Saudi Arabia. That dress should be perfectly modest for India in my opinion, however you wouldn't want to wear it to the mosque. ;)

Sardar Miyan: Did you get my reply? Hadiths hold no religious authority.

Mia

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »
Salam Sstikstof..

Thank you very much...yup...the picture shown is modest according to India...so i guess..it wont be a problem...Thank you very much for your guidance...:)...

With best regards,
Anjum

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
Salam Sis mia...

Yup sis...its modest here..:)...well...about mosque...we dont have specific mosques for ladies here...we do have one largest mosque in Delhi...its called Jama Masjid..but its like tourist place..so...people dont have problem with these sleeves...there too...:)...

Thanks and best regards,
Anjum...:)

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
Please be advised that men can freely walk around as bare body, but at the time of praying men have to wear suitable dress to show respect to god. Similar case goes to women too. Quran specifies it clearly that take your clothes and adorning suitably for prayer.

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »
Salam Sstikstof...

So...does that mean...we should cover our full arms during prayer?...

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 04:26:28 PM »
Salam Sstikstof...

So...does that mean...we should cover our full arms during prayer?...
half would be better. We do half arm covering here.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »
Salaam all,

I am sure that you have all read Joseph's article regarding covering.

Taking all the verses into consideration, I hold the view that the hair is part of a woman's zeenat and should be covered..not strictly every strand though and not only with a headscarf as hats would suffice too.

In order to take into consideration the many different cultural dresses, the Quran doesn't stipulate a particular style of clothing.

So what I understand is that the clothing should not be tight, arms and legs should be covered but 3/4 sleeves would be acceptable too. A must would be some sort of additional covering for the bosom. Also if you were to wear western dress then long tops that cover the bottom would be required in order to fulfill the instruction and jeans etc should not be tight fitting.