Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 'My Father' in the Christian Bible

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
'My Father' in the Christian Bible
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
Salam,

Christians say "My Father in reference to God. If this exists in the Bible, have scribes added or tampered with the main scripture and added it later?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: 'My Father' in the Christian Bible
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
Salaam,

'Abba' (father) appears three times in the New Testament (NT) - Mark 14:36; Romans 8:15 and Galatians 4:6. It is an Aramaic word. It appears from the NT that Prophet Jesus referred to His creator as 'father' but probably not in the human biological father sense, but most likely in the sense of his expressive closeness with God. 

Whether this was a phrase developed as part of a theological bias by early Christians and then later taken down by scribes whilst writing the earliest documents of the NT cannot be proved. It is to be noted however, that the earliest NT books were not written until decades after the death of Prophet Jesus by Greek speaking Christians.

However, I find no proof that this was a later 'insertion' into the NT text as to my knowledge, the old manuscripts retain the word 'Abba' followed by a Greek transliteration (Pater - Father) which informs the readership what it means.

I hope this helps.

Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell