Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 'Fulfill their Vows' or to 'Heed to the Warnings'?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
'Fulfill their Vows' or to 'Heed to the Warnings'?
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:39:31 AM »
Salams.

يُوۡفُوۡنَ بِالنَّذۡرِ وَيَخَافُوۡنَ يَوۡمًا كَانَ شَرُّهٗ مُسۡتَطِيۡرًا

'يُوۡفُوۡنَ بِالنَّذۡرِ' is 'historically' read as 'they fulfil their vows'. Why can't it be read as: 'they heeded to/took the warnings';considered Rabb's threats/warnings seriously?

Ok, I know this is 'unorthodox'; understand the seriousness of 'traditional/historical' readings/meanings and the consequence of immature, individual speculations. I do not know Arabic grammar, nor am I even qualified to 'disclose' my wild speculations; not to mention reading my شَّهَوَاتِ into the text/Rabb's Speech.

I also don't know if this is of your 'interest'/domain.

But still, ...  'from a structural/gramatical point of view', could, 'يُوۡفُوۡنَ بِالنَّذۡرِ' be read as 'they heeded/took the warnings'; And in this context, they took Rabb's threat seriously and feared that day of inevitable--لَأَمْلَأَنَّ جَهَنَّمَ مِنكَ--judgement?

جزاك اللهُ

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: 'Fulfill their Vows' or to 'Heed to the Warnings'?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »
Walaikum salaam.

The verb 'nadhara' means to vow or to consecrate as in 2:270; 3:35; 19:26 and 22:29.  The 'nadhr' in 76:7 is a verbal noun which is basically a noun derived from the verb and conveys the 'idea' of the verb action. This is similar to the verbal nouns found in verses 2:270 and 22:29.

This is different from 'nadhir' (masculine noun) which is a plural of 'nudhur' which means 'a warner' which is what you are implying.

Furthermore, the 'nadhr' in 76:7 needs to be understood in the context of the verb 'yufuna' (fulfil)

You don't fulfil' your warning. Otherwise the sentence in Arabic would make little sense (much like in English). You fulfil (yufi) a covenant (2:40) or a vow (76:7).

For example, please read: 22:29. It would make little sense to render 'yufu nudhurahum' to mean 'fulfil their warnings' in the context of pilgrim rites. Rather, it would be more appropriately rendered as 'fulfil their vows'

I hope this helps, God willing.

Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell