Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Hurs

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Hurs
« on: July 13, 2016, 07:04:16 AM »
Hi Joseph. I really appreciated your article on the "hurin" mentioned in the Holy Quran, but I'm still not convinced as to your view of the matter, particularly on the Surah Waqia verses. Is their any definite Quranic proof AGAINST the traditional interpretation of these beings?
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
Re: Hurs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:21:49 AM »
What's the "traditional perspective" of houris?
deleted

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:05:21 AM »
That men are allowed to have intercourse with them in Jannah, as sourced from the "true" statements of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh)
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:43:56 AM »
Peace. And you'd like elaboration on what, 56:37?
deleted

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:48:25 AM »
I would like definite Quranic proof against this allegation, and in particular, against the fact that verses 56:35-38 are refering to hurs, and not, as Joseph asserts, to what will happen to believers in heaven.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 03:17:52 AM »
Dear Wanderer

Peace

In my humble view, I have presented my arguments clearly in the article [1] below from a Quran's perspective.

If you feel that a believer has to prove the 'traditional' position based on Islamic secondary sources [2] collated centuries after the death of the prophet as opposed to the primary source, the Quran, then with respect, you are gravely mistaken and have misunderstood the purpose of this forum and the Quran-centric approach [3], [4].

Rather, I respectfully assert that it is you that must prove the traditional position, or any 'Islamic' position for that matter, from the primary source, the Quran. With respect, the burden of proof is with you.

Therefore, can you please provide clear evidence that 56:35-38 mention 'Hurs' and further still, any evidence in the Quran that Hur refer specifically to women and that men are to have intercourse with them.

Unless you can provide clear proof from the primary source, the Quran, I feel it futile to have a protracted debate on this matter.

Regards,
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] SEXY FEMALE VIRGINS FOR MEN IN PARADISE - REALLY?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/sexy%20female%20virgins%20for%20men%20in%20heaven%20FM3.htm
[2] ISLAMIC SECONDARY SOURCES
http://quransmessage.com/articles/hadith%20FM2.htm
[3] Quran-centric - a powerful position indeed!
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/330796700390797
[4] TWO CRUCIAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 'QURANIST' (ISM) AND 'QURAN-CENTRIC' APPROACH
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/542672849203180
[5] BURDEN OF PROOF - PROPHET ABRAHAM'S (pbuh) ARGUMENT
http://quransmessage.com/articles/burdenofproof%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:50 AM »
I'm sorry, I should have made my points clearer. My main problem with your interpretation of verses 56:27-38, is that, if it was true, verse 56:36 should read: "And we SHALL make YOU virgins", in the future tense. In addition, I don't understand what verse 56:37 means under your interpretation. Please offer your thoughts on this.
Regards,
wanderer

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 04:09:01 AM »
Dear Wanderer,

In my humble opinion, the expectation of 'you' that you assert is wholly unwarranted. Verses 56:27-34 evidently speak about the future of those who find God's felicity and will be of the right hand.

Verse 56:35 speaks of 'them' (i.e. the righteous folk) in plural. Verse 56:36 speaks of 'them' as being made virgins (i.e. again, those of the righteous folk). Verse 56:37 then speaks of them being equal in age and well matched (i.e. again, those of the righteous folk). Verse 56:38 then confirms that this is once again about the companions of the right hand.

The article clearly shares this perspective.  Once again, there is no mention of 'Hurs' in these verses.

Can you therefore, with respect, provide me clear evidence of what I understand you kindly assert which is the traditional position; i.e. that these verses are speaking of another female creation called 'Hurs' with whom men will have sexual intercourse.

With respect, we simply cannot continue, unless you provide this clear evidence.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 04:17:10 AM »
I'm sorry if you see me as being antagonistic, let me assure you it is not my intention. This is simply an issue that I have trouble understanding, and am looking for information about. Please do not become impatient. My other source of great confusion is that the Quran speaks of marriage with the hurs in 44:54, and of "spouses pure" in another few verses. What will marriage be like in the Hereafter? And what will happen to our earthly spouses, who the Quran also says will join us in the Hereafter? These are very confusing questions for me, so if you could answer them that would be great.
Regards,
wanderer

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:40:10 AM »
Peace. I'd like to mention that "وَزَوَّجْنَاهُمْ" doesn't mean that, it means "and we'll couple them".
deleted

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 04:51:59 AM »
I'm sorry, what doesn't that mean, Elijah?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 04:53:29 AM »
Dear Wanderer,

Please don't feel I am becoming impatient. I am simply curtailing the need for protracted discussions. To truly understand a Quran-centric perspective, one really has to divorce themselves from traditional learnings and my approach at times is to respectfully provide that shift in thought by asking direct questions. Rather than getting the Quran to prove a traditional position, it is the traditional position that needs to find proof in the Quran.

In summary, please kindly see my responses to your queries in blue:

My other source of great confusion is that the Quran speaks of marriage with the hurs in 44:54

There is no mention of 'marriage' (nikaah) in verse 44:54 exclusively. This is an earthly concept. The Quran merely says 'zawaja / zawj' which simply doesn't mean marriage but also to pair / couple.  Please kindly see how the word is used in 6:143 to describe twos of sheep and goats when taken in pairs or in verse 35:11 as a description of us humans being created in pairs (different genders). Therefore, this word simply speaks at best of pairing or companionship. We must be willing to forgo earth-centric interpretations when we will be created a new / different creation (56:35). A creation not yet fully unknown to us. With respect, I have covered this in the article.

What will marriage be like in the Hereafter?

This begs the question, why is this such a pressing matter when the Quran only seeks to present similitudes of a world that we cannot fully fathom?

And what will happen to our earthly spouses, who the Quran also says will join us in the Hereafter?

Where does the Quran say this? There are earthly spouses that will also enter hell-fire. Even some of the wives of the prophets were unrighteous. (See examples of Prophets Noah and Lot - 66:10). Why would all spouses be expected to go to heaven? Furthermore, why would that matter, when earthly ties will be severed and there will no bonds? (23:101 / 60:3). The guilty will even be prepared to ransom their own earthly children if they could (70:11) along with their spouse and brother (70:12), and the kindred that protected them on earth (70:13).

Of course, one will be able to regroup with the righteous of their relatives from earth, but that does not mean we interpret this as 'earthly bonds' or just near kinship. Verse 52:21 speaks about descendants and this may comprise of many earthly generations.

Please also kindly see the following thread:

Wordly couples in Jannah?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1466.msg6728#msg6728

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
George Orwell

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 05:15:34 AM »
Thank you for your detailed response Brother Joseph! For your information I was refering to your RIGHTEOUS spouses joining you in Jannah, but you still cleared up a lot of my questions nonetheless. What thing you didn't adress, however, was the "purified spouses" mentioned several times in the Quran. What is your opinion on this?
Regards,
wanderer

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 05:19:09 AM »
Peace. Did you see that discussion too?
deleted

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 05:40:42 AM »
Yes, I did, thank you Brother Elijah