Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: meaning of bimaṣābīḥa

Offline sharon

• View Profile
meaning of bimaṣābīḥa
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:29:57 PM »
Assalam alikum I was just wondering does bimaṣābīḥa mean
1. Something witch produces it's own light like stars and sun
2. Something just glowing like the moon or meators witch doesn't have to produce its own light
3. Can 67:5 mean anything glowing in the sky that does or doesn't produce it's own light or does it mean it has to because if yes then 67:5 can't mean meators what causes problems with 15:18 because it says we can see it from the naked eye on earth with out a telescope

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: meaning of bimaṣābīḥa
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:45:11 PM »
Dear Sharon,

Wa alaikum assalam

Arguably, one of the best definitions of 'misbah' comes from verse 24:35 where God shares a likeness of His Light as a niche in which there is a lamp (misbah). God's light is undoubtedly radiant and also the source. Thus if the analogy is carried to verse 67:4, the lower heaven is then decked with 'lamps' which seemingly refers to any celestial body which is a source of light possibly referring to suns within various solar systems that exist within any particular galaxy.

There is no conflict with verse 15:18 as there is no mention of 'misbah' in this verse. The expression 'shihabun mubeen' can refer to any visible celestial object or phenomenon, which could be a comet, flame from the sun, or even a meteor / meteoroid of sorts. This is irrespective of whether they are the source of light or not.

Therefore in summary to answer your questions directly:

I was just wondering does bimaṣābīḥa mean

1. Something witch produces it's own light like stars and sun  [Yes]
2. Something just glowing like the moon or meators witch doesn't have to produce its own light [No]
3. Can 67:5 mean anything glowing in the sky that does or doesn't produce it's own light or does it mean it has to because if yes then 67:5 can't mean meators and [Yes, verse 67:5 is most likely not a reference to meteors but an object that radiates its own light] what causes problems with 15:18 because it says we can see it from the naked eye on earth with out a telescope [15:18 has little to do with 67:5].

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:39:00 AM »
Ok thanks 1. I always thought 67:5 and 15:18 are connected to each other like with other verses 72:8-9  and 37:10 and if not how aren't the 15:18 and 67:5 connected because it sounds like it's talking about the same thing
2. Doesn't 15:18 mean the flame has to be moving like a meateors so it can't be a gamma ray or the flame from the sun or stars because there not moving or can it and if yes how jazzakkallah
3. Can 15:18 mean gamma rays because we can't see gamma rays without a telescope

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:39:37 AM »
Dear Sharon,

Wa alaikum assalam

I have noticed that you often ask a number of continuous hypothetical questions despite the remit of one's answer being made clear to you from the Quran. I have shared my response and thus, please can I kindly request that you accept this as my last to you on this matter.

With respect and regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline yahya

• View Profile
jinn
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »
Assalam alikum there are some non muslims saying a scientific error but I don't know how to reply they say in verse 27:39-40 that the jinn could get the throne in a twinkle of an eye and before prophet solaman could get up so they say that the jinn can travel faster than light so if they can travel faster than light how would a gamma ray catch them when that is the speed of light but they can travel faster than that and if meteors they would be faster than that so how would a meteor hit them if there faster them then and if there not fast of speed of light then it would take hundreds of years to get there

The verses are 27:39-40 A powerful one from among the jinn said, "I will bring it to you before you rise from your place, and indeed, I am for this [task] strong and trustworthy."

Said one who had knowledge from the Scripture, "I will bring it to you before your glance returns to you." And when [Solomon] saw it placed before him, he said, "This is from the favor of my Lord to test me whether I will be grateful or ungrateful. And whoever is grateful - his gratitude is only for [the benefit of] himself. And whoever is ungrateful - then indeed, my Lord is Free of need and Generous."

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 01:50:38 AM »
But also what about Satan he can be every where in seconds so wouldn't he be faster than the gamma rays and meteors jazzakallah