Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Istakhara

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Istakhara
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »
Salam brother,

What are you views about Istakhara? Is there a specific way of praying and asking from God. Do answers come in dreams if we follow a certain routine of prayer?  I need to make a decision about staying in my resident country or to go back to my home country. There are pros and cons to both situations.

I just want to know your views on this and what is your advice.

Regards

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Istakhara
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

SALATUL ISTIKHARA

This is indeed a very subjective area.

There is no prescribed 'ritualised' salatul istikhara in the Quran. However, prayer is open to one at any time and believers should be encouraged to pray to their Lord.

If we constantly think of God, we are constantly engaging with Him to show us the right way and to assist us to make the right decisions for our life in this world and hereafter. In any decision we make, there should be complete trust in our Lord that precedes it.

God has granted humans with the faculty of reasoning. This is a gift He has granted us and we are expected to make use of it in all spheres of life.

In my humble view, one should take all necessary steps to weigh up all the advantages and disadvantages of a given situation and pray sincerely to their Lord that if the outcome of the decision is in one's favour, then to make the action easy and if not, to remove any such inclination and give peace and satisfaction to the mind and heart.

Indeed there may be suggestions and hints that one may experience such as in feelings, dreams etc but signs may come through many other unexpected means. No particular method should become the basis of the interpretation of a sign as this akin to restricting God.  However, one should maintain complete trust in God in any decision they undertake.

This approach I feel is supported by the Quran in the story of the youths that fled and sought protection in the cave (18:10). They had no knowledge of their outcome or what would happen to them. Their prayer simply was:

"...Our Lord! bestow on us Mercy from Thyself, and dispose of our affair for us in the right way!" (18:10)

I hope this helps in some way God willing.

Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell