Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Who was created first? Man or Woman?

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
Who was created first? Man or Woman?
« on: May 24, 2018, 02:53:36 PM »
Dear Forum Members
Salam.

We generally think that God created the first human being as a man, not woman.
Now have a look in the following verse:

004:001
O mankind! Fear your Lord, Who created you from a single (Wahidatin) soul (Nafsin) and created from out of it (minha) her mate (Zawjaha) and spread from these two (minhuma), many men and women; and fear God, by Whom you demand one of another (your rights), and (to) the ties of relationship; surely God ever watches over you.

Here the word 'wahidatin' with a 'ta marbuta' indicates a female source. Anyway, we can avoid it as an irrational being. But the very next pronoun 'minha' clearly indicates that the first human being was a woman. And God created the second human as her mate.

I am not so well in arabic, Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Salam

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
Re: Who was created first? Man or Woman?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »
The translation should be like this, i think.

004:001
O mankind! Fear your Lord, Who created you from a single (Wahidatin) soul (Nafsin) and created from out of her (minha) her mate (Zawjaha) and spread from these two (minhuma), many men and women; and fear God, by Whom you demand one of another (your rights), and (to) the ties of relationship; surely God ever watches over you.

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
Re: Who was created first? Man or Woman?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:27:11 AM »
peaace,

Technically you are correct but bear in mind in Arabic objects are either male or female regardless if they are male or female, e.g. even a chair is assigned a gender even thought it has none.

And the verse uses "from it/her", meaning it/her contained its mate/feminine/masculine, so I guess one could say grammatically you are correct, but conceptually its simultaneous there is no first.