Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Does the Quran say "the best charity is that given in ramdhan"?

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Salaam all
Is there any proof that Allah the Almighty says that charity given during ramdhan is superior to other times ?

Kind regards and jzk

Offline niaz

• View Profile
Re: Does the Quran say "the best charity is that given in ramdhan"?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:20:54 PM »
Salaam miracle114,

I believe that in general, every time is a good time to do good deeds, including charity. An act does not become 'superior' because of when we did it, and God knows which acts of our are better than others. But there are certain times that charity is emphasized as an obligation. One is the giving the rightful share on the day of the harvest (i.e., on the payday). Another is feeding the poor during Ramadhan.

And He is the one who initiated for you gardens either built or growing wild, and palm trees and the crops, with different tastes and olives and pomegranates similar but yet dissimilar. You shall eat from its fruits when it ripens, and give its rightful share on the day of the harvest, and do not waste. Indeed He does not love those who are wasteful. [6:141]

O you who have attained faith; fasting is decreed for you, as it was decreed for those before you that you may become righteous.    Specific days. However, if one of you is ill or on a trip, a number of days shall be substituted later on. And it is incumbent upon those who can afford it that they should repay by feeding the poor. Therefore, whoever does any good beyond the call of duty is good for him.  And fasting is best for you if you only knew. [2:183-184]

Peace

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
Asalamu 3alykum

Thank you Niaz for sharing your comments.

Not to take away from the good intentions you put forth I thought I would share a different opinion[1] to what you may think of what verse 6:141 may likely be pointing to instead of charity. However I would also like to point out that it may also have some support for paying charity at the time of gain(payday) like you kindly shared.

Also regarding 2:183-184 I believe there is more evidence to support the understanding in the article below which maybe of interest to you.

Either way I just thought I would share incase you have not read them.

Salam

[1]WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF ZAKAT FROM THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/zakah%20FM3.htm

[2]Missing Fast In Ramadhan
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=929.msg6199#msg6199

Offline niaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 09:16:10 PM »
Wa alaikum salaam Hamzeh,

In 6:141, yes I agree it is referring to Zakah. I do not agree that Zakah means "taxes paid to the government or the `Islamic State`". Zakah is what is paid from one's income specifically to the categories of people mentioned in 17:26, 30:38 as the article correctly references (or 24:22, 2:215, 2:177 etc.) - namely relatives, poor, refugees, immigrants, fatherless, beggars etc. I called it "charity", but it is an obligatory religious act which "cleanses" our earnings (92:18). "Obligatory charity" or "cleansing charity" would be a more suitable translation than simply "charity". From the verse we learn that it has to taken out from income and not from savings, and also should be done on the pay day, and not once in a year.

About 2:183-184, the traditional interpretation has been that "those who are able to do it" means those who are able to fast. I understand the "it" simply means "feed the poor people", i.e. those who are able to feed the poor, as suggested in the translation I included. It didn't look like the article you referenced considers this perspective. There are two problems that I see with the traditional interpretation:
  • first it makes no sense to say that "that those who are able to fast should feed poor people". This necessitates making additional "implied" exceptions that are not mentioned in the verse to try to get around this problem (e.g., adding "but have difficulty" or "but chose not to" etc.).
  • Second, is a moral problem: it suggests that affluent people who can afford to feed the poor can "buy out" of their obligation to fast by flashing their wallets, while those who cannot afford to do so do not have such an option.
I believe that "feeding poor people" is an additional obligation upon "those who are able to do it", and not a scheme to "pay out" of one's obligation to fast. By 'fidya' (ransom / repayment / sacrifice) it may be understood that this additional obligation is only for those who are substituting the fasts later, or it is a general sacrifice anybody who can afford it in this month should make.

In any case, the verse continues Therefore, whoever does any good beyond the call of duty is good for him. I see it as a clear exhortation to do good deeds and be charitable. Beyond fasting ourselves, also feed those in need.

Peace.