Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: English Translations of the Qur'an

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
English Translations of the Qur'an
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:40:56 PM »
Salam alaykum, I'm a just Muslim who is from [Removed] with no affiliation with any sect or school of thought. I recently stumbled upon your website: Quranmessage. Although there are still many topics on the website that I'm yet to read, I really admire your approach to understanding and explaining the Qur'an. May Allah reward you abundantly for your efforts and sincerity. In his mercy, may He overlook your shortcomings and increase your faith and wisdom.

The purpose of this email is to request for your opinon on the English translation which is the CLOSEST to the original Qur'an (in Arabic) - without the translator's own interpretations and without any attempt to make the reader understand each ayah especially making references to un-Quranic sources. I feel like most translations of the Qur'an are not far from Tafsir of the Qur'an which shouldn't be the case as I also want to have a similar experience to those who speak Arabic and hear the original message of Allah. For instance: when I shared with an Arabic friend (who's actually quite religious and memorises the Qur'an) the phrase "ma malakat aimanukum" (in its arabic form) from the Qur'an which I believe literally means "those whom your right possesses", he had no idea that it is solely and most commonly translated to "slaves from war". I hope you understand my point.

I also find that those that disregard Islam are only quote hadiths and un-Quranic "Islamic" traditions which shows how much our fellow Muslims have popularised/advocated/prioritised the teachings of hadiths over the Qur'an. This therefore confirms a verse from the Qur'an that on the day of resurrection, the Prophet (saw) will say his people have deserted the Qur'an.

I will be very grateful if you respond to my message given how much hardwork you've put to serving Allah. Again, may Allah have mercy on you and make things easy for you. Thank very much.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: English Translations of the Qur'an
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam

For those not conversant with Arabic, I would strongly advise reading multiple translations side by side along with word-word translations.

I have provided some useful links in the 'Useful Resource Sites' section of this website where you may find resources to assist. Please kindly see [1] below.

Furthermore, please note further links in [2] below where I have discussed similar queries relating to Quranic translations in more detail, particularly the links under the 'FORUM THREADS' section.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] USERFUL RESOURCE SITES
http://quransmessage.com/articles/useful%20resource%20sites%20FM2.htm
[2] QURAN TRANSLATIONS
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1269.0
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell