Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: role of religion in governement

Offline Yahia

• View Profile
role of religion in governement
« on: November 18, 2018, 03:06:06 PM »
Salam,

I was hoping to get a quranic perspective about the role of religion in government. If for instance a country is started by a muslim community but is welcome to others, what kinds of rights and freedom should be granted to everyone in the country and should religious prohibitions be prohibited for all by the government through laws or should the government play a small role in that aspect and leave it to individual freedom... an example that came to mind was should gay practise or marriage be condemned by the government or should it be left to individuals and there be no government involvement that neither supports nor condemns it.

When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
Re: role of religion in governement
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 05:56:16 AM »
peace,

A good place to start is HERE. In my view these would be the only punishable offences (see link for verses):

Murder

Manslaughter

Corruption in the land

Adultery, fornication, immorality

Direct abuse/harassment

Usury

Theft

Offline Mohammed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 12:47:00 AM »
Salaam,

For practices like same sex marriages/ partnerships, I think the government should not support (like registration, providing legal recognition etc.) and should not punish.
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 05:00:51 AM »
Also see:
Principles of State and Government in Islam

http://muhammad-asad.com