Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Abd-u-llah - The Prophet's Father

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Abd-u-llah - The Prophet's Father
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
Dear Mr. Joseph,

Can you clarify on following:

The father of Prophet Mohammad was ABD-U-ALLAH, which I understand to mean servant of Allah. This means he was worshipper of Allah instead of Al-Lat, Uzza and Manat deities.  Does this means that he was pre-Muhammad, a monotheist?

Best Regards.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Abd-u-llah - The Prophet's Father
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

'Allah' is just an Arabic name for God. Even the Mushrikeen referred to their high God as 'Allah' during the Prophet's ministry. This point is absolutely clear from the Quran itself.

"If indeed you ask them who has created the Heavens and the Earth and subjected the Sun and the Moon (to his Law), they will certainly reply, "Allah". How are they then deluded away (from the truth)"?

However, the Quran asks the 'idolaters' (Mushrikeen) not to associate any partners with the One God, in His majesty, in His power, in His judgment or indeed, to invoke anyone apart from Him.

This can be seen in the following verse.

'If indeed you ask them who is it that created the Heavens and the Earth, they would be sure to say, "Allah". Say: "Then do you see what you invoke besides Allah? Can they, if Allah wills some penalty for me, remove His penalty? Or if He wills some grace for me, can they keep back his grace?" Say: "Sufficient is Allah for me! In Him do the trusting put their trust"'

Please see the following article for a more fuller analysis.

'ALLAH' IS NOT AN EXCLUSIVE NAME FOR GOD
http://quransmessage.com/articles/allah%20is%20not%20an%20exclusive%20name%20for%20god%20FM3.htm

Given the above, only God would know the state of the Prophet's father's heart.

I hope this helps, Insha'Allah / God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell