Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is concept of equal rights for men and women affect on Quran’s perspective?

Offline Beyond Tradition

• View Profile
Dear Brother Joseph
Salamun Alaikum . I have gone through your article regarding “beating wife “ and I appreciated your analytical depth per Quran’s  perspective . Now I am in little problem to get the best meaning for the first part of  verse (4:34) . Man are the protector of women or guard of women as men spend for women and given strength than women . Does this part of this verse deny the equal rights for men and women ? What is your humble opinion ? It is true medically women is less strength than men .
And it is also true that man have to protect women . Women never can save them . So whatever the rights to be given they must be ensured by men. But I need to know the perfect wisdom of this verse.

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
Dear Beyond tradition,

The following is a quote from Brother Joseph regarding this matter:

In the confines of a household, the Quran places huge weight and the 'primary' burden to ensure financial responsibility, maintenance, fairness, justice and accountability on the shoulders of men. The Quran thus espouses a 'broadly' patriarchal approach to how it views an ideal familial structure should operate. However, this does not mean 'male domination' or a lack of compassion/justice. The Quran also brings forth rights to protect the interests of women (rights to inheritance / property/ earnings / opportunities / marital rights et al) which women have often been deprived of in many cultures today and of yore.

You can see the full post here:
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/1416375901832866

It is also important to appreciate the fact that although men and women are given different capacities thus responsibilities. They remain spiritually equal.

033:035
"Indeed the Muslim men and the Muslim women, and the believing men and the believing women, and the obedient men and the obedient women, and the truthful men and the truthful women, and the patient men and the patient women, and the humble men and the humble women, and the men who give charity and the women who give charity, and the men who fast and the women who fast, and the men who guard their private parts / chastity and the women who guard it, and the men who remember God much and the women who remember - God has prepared for THEM forgiveness and a mighty / great reward."

Regards,
Ahmad.