Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is Zakat Demurrage Money ?

Offline Rizny

• View Profile
Is Zakat Demurrage Money ?
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »
Salamun Alaikum Brothers and Sisters,

Purpose of money is to act as a Medium of exchange (*Important point). Money properly understood is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Current world monetary system is based on interest bearing debt. It is Fractional reserve (FR) interest on Debt monetary system.  If the FR rate is 10% of a country then commercial Banks can give ten times the amount of deposits theoretically as loan, creating money out of thin air I think this is Riba too.

High interest rate mean low money supply low interest rate mean high money supply.
The amount of debt loan people seek will depend on the interest rate. And the outstanding debt is the actually the Money in the system (Money=debt).

All countries call them self Islamic (Which I don't believe because those are kingdoms or dictatorships or mix of both with majority of people happen to be Muslims) Have Central Banks which sets interest rates And Commercial Banks create Money out of thin air.

All Muslims should know we are living in an interest on debt monitory system which creates money out of thin air. And this Money is backed by nothing (Fiat).Most of them pegged to fiat (Backed by nothing) US Dollar.

Islamic money should is based on real things which have real value or the money should be backed by real things.

Before looking at Islamic monetary system let's look at something similar to in recent history. Miracle of Wörgl , demurrage (holding tax) money.

An experiment in Wörgl article
http://alt-money.tribe.net/thread/70e5eb29-853d-44ca-9faa-b789d1757037

Main out come of this experiment is it increased the circulation of money. There are other advantages listed in the article. Interesting point it is the Central Banks who decided to stop this experiment by passing a law.

The Islamic monetary system is based on Zakat and money that has Real intrinsic value

Both Zakat and Sadaqqa (Charity) are duty on Muslims. We are asked to do both. Quran doesn't say one is obligatory and one is not obligatory.

In fact Zakat was given more weight because it is the monetary system. Even the non believers asked to pay Zakat.

According to Hadeeths these are the 9 things we are asked to pay Zakat.
- Wheat
- Barley
- Dates
- Raisins
- Gold
- Silver
- Camel
- Cow
- Sheep (including goat)

10th one is
As an obligatory precaution, upon the wealth in business.

If we analyze closely all 9 tings listed above is used as medium of exchange (Money). Some of these things you can only find in Arabian Desert that is  important to Arabs who lived at that place so they used these things as medium of exchange(Money). If another community used other things as medium of exchange(money) then those are the things Zakat should be applicable. People must use mutual consultation to decide what are the  things there  going to use as Medium of Exchange(Money)

The messenger Set the Demurrage rate or holding Tax as 2.5% at that time (1% in Worgl ) with consulting the people, this is how Rasoollullah followed the Quran. Zakat increased the circulation of goods and services.

Quran doesn't give you the Zakat rate you should decide this with mutual consultation.

If someone think this is not the purpose of Zakat
Then please tell me how the Islamic Monetary System works. Is it right all these so called Islamic Countries that has monetary system that based on Fractional reserve interest on Debt?

We were asked to pay both Zakat and Sadaqqa but both have different purposes.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Is Zakat Demurrage Money ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:29 AM »
Assalam There is no rate fixed by Quran for Zakat but it say "What is excess of one's needs" I will try to post the Aya Inshallah
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »
Assalam I just got the relevant Aya. As per 2:219 Allah ask us to pay to the extent we can "Spare"which can also mean over &above our needs.

Offline Rizny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »
Salamun Alaikum Sardar Miyan,

Spending in the way of God is Sadaqa 2:262-264.  verse 264 has the words Sadaqa and yunfiqu(spend) in it.

2:215 THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof."

9:60  The offerings[alssadaqat] given for the sake of God are [meant] only for the poor and the needy, and those who are in charge thereof, and those whose hearts are to be won over, and for the freeing of human beings from bondage, and [for] those who are over burdened with debts, and [for every struggle] in God's cause, and [for] the wayfarer: [this is] an ordinance[fareedatan] from God - and God is all-knowing, wise.

The verse in the Sura Taubah mention the category of people we must pay Sadaqa and it's an obligation[fareedatan] to us . Only believer were asked to spend in the way of God.

The word yunfiqūna or it's derivative nouns appear 68 times(if i'm right , not all verses talk about spending in the way of God) when some of the verses mentioned  spend in the way of God it deosn't say Zakat. In fact it's mentioned with Sadaqa 2:262-264.

This is from brother josephs Zakah Article

058:013
"Do you fear that you will not give in Sadaqat before your consultation? So when you do not do it and God has turned to you (mercifully), then keep up prayer and pay Zakat and obey God and His Messenger; and God is Aware of what you do.
Any avoidance of paying Zakat attracts very strong condemnation.

041:6 (Part)-7
"...and woe to the polytheists (41:6) Who give not the 'Zakat' and who are disbelievers in the Hereafter (41:7)"

The above verse makes it absolutely clear that even the polytheists were not exempt from paying zakat. Therefore this obligation was not necessarily a 'religious' obligation but more a societal obligation and had always existed. Even Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) would have been obligated to pay 'Zakat' before he received his Prophethood. This also applied to the People of the Book. In the following verse, the Jews are clearly being asked to keep up the Zakat at the time of revelation to the Prophet. These are not those that fall under the specific context of those People of the Book that broke treaties (See Surah Tauba and the related article below). Rather, if the verse is read in context with the previous verses, it is clear that the verses are being imparted to 'believing' Jews.

Yes your right[Sardar Miyan] there is no fixed rate given in the Quran. When Quran doesn't give any rule that is for  people to decide those things with mutual consultation [Shura]. It's possible Rasoolullah may have come up with some rate with mutual consultation.
In my post I argued Both Zakat and Sadaqa were obligatory with different purposes.
If both Zakat and Sadaqa were obligatory that does the same thing then whats the point in it.
Sadaqa is charity and  Zakat is Islamic monetory system that's so similar to demmurage monetory system with obvious benefits.

Demmurage monetory system is something which every proponent of interest based monetory system opposes.

Please forgive me for my ENGLISH .

Thank you
Rizny

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
Br JAI Pl write about Zakat & Sadaqa & I do not know what is Demmurage ? A new term coined.

Offline Rizny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »
Salamun Alaikum sardar miyan,

Demurrage is a holding tax for owning a currency over a given period.
The Tax rate and period of holding is decided by the society or a central authority elected by people.

e.g. If holding Tax                            2.5%
        Period                                     1 month
        Medium of exchange(Money)   Cash       
        A person  Holding 1000 Dollers at the end of the month have to pay 25 Dollars  as demurage .This tax is only applicable to medium of exchange(Cash).

But as i pointed out earlier cash is produced by Fractional Reserve banking system that's based on Interest . Witch in return will create monetary inflation artificially. 

Money Should have Intrinsic Value or backed by Real things that is important to people.
At the time of Rasoolullah People used  9 things as medium of exchange(refer to my first post). Zakat is charged on those things. When medium of exchange circulate rapidly you will not get Depression's. It will reduce the hording of Money.

Thanks
Rizny

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »
Salam All Hello JAI !!!I again request Please post your explanation of Zakaat for our guidance Thanks

Offline Rizny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 02:59:18 AM »

Zakat is Holding Tax on the medium of Exchange You use. The Rate and Period decided by the community or elected authority.

Thanks
Rizny

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »
Salam All Hello JAI !!!I again request Please post your explanation of Zakaat for our guidance Thanks

Salamun Alaikum brother Sardar.

My apologies, for I seem to have missed your prompted requests.

My perspective and explanation of Zakah and Sadaqah are covered by two separate articles:

WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF ZAKAT FROM THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/zakah%20FM3.htm

THE CONCEPT OF SADAQAH FROM THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/sadaqah%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »

Zakat is Holding Tax on the medium of Exchange You use. The Rate and Period decided by the community or elected authority.

Thanks
Rizny

Salamun Alaikum brother Rizny,

Thanks for your posts:

You make some interesting comments and there are some areas of agreement. For example I concur with your following sentiments:

(a) Money should have Intrinsic Value or backed by Real things that is important to people.

However, please can you tell me in succinct terms, what do you think the purpose of Zakat is and what it intends to provide for a society?

Regards,
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Rizny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Salaamun Alaikum Brother Joseph,

Zakat is the monetory system of Islam. The holding tax rate will increase the circulation of money(medium of exchange).Zakat is for all belivers and non belivers .

There are lots of advantages in this system . This monetory system is not based on Interest and Fractional reserve Banking.There is No monetory Inflation.
For example your house price will go up and down with economic cycle boom and bust(which is artificially created by bankers).Read the article i have given about worgle to see the benifits if you have time.

Zakat is Monetory system.
Sadaqa is Charity.

This is my opinion.

Regards
Rizny

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 05:07:07 AM »
salam brother rizny
sorry my english is not the best. So I do not know if I understood you correctly. do you think that zakat is actually the system that is maintained today by raise a specific interest rate (2.5.%)?
 Earlier, this was gold silver, cows, camels, etc., and as we have now replaced these cargoes by real money, this would be the 2.5% taxation on the fortune. Right? That would be  Islamic so far as the money that is in circulation, would be covered by realities and not how is the situation today, when the whole system is  in the hands of private bankers. (Gangsters  >:() I understood this correctly?
Thus, we  must understand zakat as a tax (whether now 2.5% or more or less),that  have to be paid on  fortune, which would be at least one year in our possession ?
This is very interesting, we would again ome closer to the tenth in the Bible. Does not seem illogical. Am not well versed in finance. But that's why it seems plausible, since even I can understand it. ;D

Offline Rizny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
Slaamun alaikum Chadiga,

Zakat is Tax on the money (medium of exchange)you hold. Main purpose is to increase the circulation of money(medium of exchange). Some people will say it's negative interest but it's not.

9 things hadith followers think they should pay zakat is in fact used as money(medium of exchange) at the time of Nabi. These things are most important to society .Zakat made these important things circulate rapidly without hoarding. This is how an Interest(Riba) free monetory system works.

30:39
Wama ataytum min ribanliyarbuwa fee amwali alnnasi falayarboo AAinda Allahi wama ataytum min zakatintureedoona  wajha Allahi faola-ika humu almudAAifoona

And [remember:] whatever you may give out in usury so that it might increase through [other] people's possessions will bring [you] no increase in the sight of God whereas all that you give out in charity(Zakatin), seeking God's countenance, [will be blessed by Him:] for it is they, they [who thus seek His countenance] that shall have their recompense mul­tiplied!

This is my opinion
Regards
Rizny

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 01:21:53 AM »
Salam rizny
your interpretation seems very logical. thanks for the clarification.
I read an article about cash flow, this still confirmed, namely that the monetary system itself, if it is fast circulation,represents the fairest  system, because it  rewards work, but punishes those who do not work.  So this would be the perfect justice of God for the people. Only certain people have changed the system to riba, so that  now it represents a pure interest rate system, that increase money  for riches and the workers and the poor becomes still poorer .Salam

Offline Rizny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:26 AM »
Salaamun Alaikum to All,

I have found a fatwa in alifta.org about " zakat payable categories". Notice how they use Brackets to corrupt Quran. Maybe it's not relevant to this thread but it's interesting.

http://www.alifta.org/Fatawa/FatawaChapters.aspx?View=Page&PageID=101&PageNo=1&BookID=24

Thanks
Rizny