Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Reward Multiplication

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Reward Multiplication
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:42:10 AM »
Br. Joseph:

Assalamu Alaikum. I have two questions: 

1. In sura Lailatul Qadar., Allah (swt) said that the night of power is better than 1000 months.  Religious leaders interpret this ayat as " when someone prays in this night, the reward he gets is more than praying for 1000 months." What is your interpretation ? I feel that the reward of this magnitude is not so easy to get.

2.  When I went for Hajj couple of years ago, I was told by our group leader (Imam) that one prayer in Haram sharif is equivalent to 1 million times prayer in one's own house.   Similarly one prayer in Masjid un Nabi is multiplied 100,000 times and prayer in other mosque is multiplied 27 times.  What is your opinion ?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Reward Multiplication
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

Such a reward based system does not exist in the Quran. It is difficult to accept that when the Quran is being described as clear proof (burhan 4:174), detailed explanation of all things (tibiana lekulli shayin 16:89), explained in detail (fussilat 41:3, 11:1), that a Prophet of God provided his own 'reward-based' system in the name of God. This is when the Prophet didn't even know what was going to happen to him or anyone else.

"Say: I am not the first of the messengers, and I do not know what will be done with me or with you: I do not follow anything but that which is revealed to me, and I am nothing but a plain warner."

This 'reward based system' is clearly the work of later men, possibly the clergy and 'mullahs' centuries after the death of the Prophet who attempted to rest control and assign such awards to religious acts to 'entice' those they felt were straying from the deen (religion). It is also to give importance to certain locations and acts of worship. However, pious the possible intentions, this remains unquranic.

The Prophet would never have uttered a word in the name of God and 'deen' that was not revealed to him in the Quran.

006:019
'Say: "What thing is most weighty in evidence?" Say: "God is witness between me and you; This Quran has been revealed to me by inspiration, that I may warn you and all whom it reaches. Can you possibly bear witness that besides God there is another God?" Say: "Nay! I cannot bear witness!" Say: "But in truth He is the one God, and I truly am innocent of (your blasphemy of) joining others with Him'

069:044               And if the messenger were to invent any sayings in Our name
069:045               We should certainly seize him by his right hand
069:046               And We should certainly then cut off the artery of his heart
069:047               Nor could any of you withhold him (from Our wrath)

"And this is a Book which We have revealed as a blessing: so follow it (Arabic: fa-ittabi'uhu) and fear (God) / be righteous so that you may receive mercy"

With regards Lailut-ul-Qadr, please see the following article which attempts to impart an understanding from a Quranic perspective.

LAILUT-UL QADR - AN UNDERSTANDING FROM A QURANIC PERSPECTIVE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/night%20of%20power%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell