Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Way of Performing Salaat

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Way of Performing Salaat
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:49:43 AM »
Salam All , I would like to present way of performing  salaat. Azan & Salaat starts by calling" Allahu Akbar" while Allahu Akbar is not in Quran. .Secondly in Qaida in the last Raka we recite Attahiyat wherein we have to recite " Assalamu Alaika or Assalamu Alaina Ya Ayyuhannabi"Is it right to mention any other than Quranic Aya? Thirdly it is said that Salwat on Prophet Ibrahim is not in Quran as is the case of Prophet Mohammad.Lastly to whom we say" Assalamu Alaika Rahmatullah" while closing the Salaat?
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Way of Performing Salaat
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »
Salamun Alaikum

The Quran does not define form or utterance for ritual prayer. So the question of 'right and wrong' with regards what to utter in prayer is mute from a Quran's perspective. One needs to part with utterance (Quranic or otherwise) in a manner in which one can wholly connect with God on a spiritual level whilst remaining fully cognizant of what they are saying (4:43). Therefore, I cannot see how the use of a Quranic verse would contradict the overarching guidance of the ritual prayer. [1]

Similarly, whether the Darud prayer [2] is in the Quran or not is also irrelevant. If the particular prayer is well meaning and one wants to offer it, then it remains the worshipper’s prerogative as to whether they wish to utter it.

With regards the text 'Assalamu Alaika Ya Ayyuhannabi', in Arabic it seems to read in a present tense giving the impression that the addressee is alive. There may be theological reasons behind why many may recite it. However, if it is read with the intention that the Prophet is actually alive to hear such a conferring of peace, then this theological assertion is unwarranted from a Quranic perspective. I personally do not use it and make every attempt to confer my peace to all the messengers that have passed away including Prophet Muhammad. I endeavour not to make any distinctions between any of God’s messengers (2:285).

With respect to your last question, Muslim thought provides many reasons for the offering of peace at the end of prayers (peace to believers / guarding angels / jinn etc). Whatever the reason, I personally see no evidence that the conferring of such peace contradicts any Quranic guidance so I simply offer it as a peace greeting to all creation (seen and unseen) to my right and to my left at the end of my prayer.

On a side note, it is interesting to note that this is not a new ritual. Even the early Jewish prayers can be shown to have this ritual of offering peace at the end of the ritual prayer (for whatever reason).

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

RELATED ARTICLES

[1] DARUD SHAREEF PRAYER
http://quransmessage.com/articles/darud%20shareef%20prayer%20FM3.htm
[2] WHY DO WE HAVE TO RECITE THE QURAN BACK TO GOD IN PRAYER?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/recite%20quran%20back%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Way of Performing Salaat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Assalam Bro JAI Thanks for clarification.I got your Automated reply to my Email yesterday.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light