Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Explanation of verse 108.3

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Explanation of verse 108.3
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph,

Hope you are all well and in good health.

Can you please share the wisdom behind the following Ayat:

108:3 -  For he who hateth thee, he will be cut off 

Regards

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Explanation of verse 108.3
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

There is much wisdom in the verse which really needs to be read holistically and not in an isolated manner.

Here are a few thoughts from my humble perspective:

• The Prophet was given abundance, in great amounts (kawthar) not only in worldly terms, material, respect, honour, reputation (94.4) but also spiritually (knowledge, inspiration, inner peace etc).
  • The Prophet often required consolation (Surah 93-94) and narratives which would put his mission and bestowal into perspective (108:1). This not only shows the extent of the mission and its inherent difficulty but also the very human tendencies the Prophet possessed which gives believers much hope when they attempt to relate and emulate him.
  • Prayer and sacrifice (in its widest remit) is a method not only to thank the Lord for what He has bestowed on His servant but also a method to seek goodness in all realms of worldly and spiritual pursuits (108:2).
  • The Prophet clearly had adversaries that showed complete dislike and hatred towards him (shana'a 108:3). In a mission such as this, it is not a popularity contest. Speaking the truth can cause adversity.
  • God assisted His Prophet and 'cut off' (abtur) those who were bent on harming the Prophet and the Prophetic mission. (i.e. rendered their contrivances and plots in vain). This is in tandem with Surah Lahab and other verses where God takes protection not only over the messengers (58:21) but also of the mission to protect the conveyance of his truth. (9:33, 48:28).

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell