Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Linking 4:119 and 25:44 ?

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
Linking 4:119 and 25:44 ?
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:34:32 AM »
Salamun alaikum

4:119
"I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires; I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the (fair) nature created by God." Whoever, forsaking God, takes Satan for a friend, has of a surety suffered a loss that is
manifest.

25:44
 "Or do you think that most of them listen or use their intellect . They are only like cattle, nay, they are more astray from the way.

Can it be interpreted that word cattle  used in 4:119 is actually referring to people who follow their traditions blindly and give those traditions extra importance in their life without using  their reason ?

I have seen some male muslims who believe that some scholar will protect them on the day of judgement and then they become their 'Mureed' , after that they get their ear pierced and start wearing a ring in one ear.

And there are other example too from among muslims and non muslims here where piercing ears is given too much importance , not piercing of ear becomes a Taboo.
'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
Re: Linking 4:119 and 25:44 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »
Peace,

I do not think human ear piercing is implied here.
5:103 God has not ordained anything (in the nature) of a bahirah, nor a sa’ibah, nor a wasilah, nor ham. But those who disbelieve fabricate falsehoods against God – most of them do not reason and indeed are devoid of sense.
Jahilliyah had superstitions and idolatrous practices regarding cattle like they would slit the ears of some and not use their milk, some were labeled as sacred.

[excite in them vain desires] refers to these superstitions, making haram halal; halal haram, changing the the deeni fitrah into manmade religions.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Re: Linking 4:119 and 25:44 ?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Salamun alaikum

4:119
"I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires; I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the (fair) nature created by God." Whoever, forsaking God, takes Satan for a friend, has of a surety suffered a loss that is
manifest.

25:44
 "Or do you think that most of them listen or use their intellect . They are only like cattle, nay, they are more astray from the way.

Can it be interpreted that word cattle  used in 4:119 is actually referring to people who follow their traditions blindly and give those traditions extra importance in their life without using  their reason ?

I have seen some male muslims who believe that some scholar will protect them on the day of judgement and then they become their 'Mureed' , after that they get their ear pierced and start wearing a ring in one ear.

And there are other example too from among muslims and non muslims here where piercing ears is given too much importance , not piercing of ear becomes a Taboo.

Salam
this is a very interesting connection that you establish here.
  Although I agree with hope that  marking the cattle is meant, it seems as if the man would become as cattle, if he does not used his intellect and  follows  the forefathers blindly  - or follows in this example the society blindly ;D.
The cross-connection  itself cannot be deny - Maybe  Allah in His wisdom and his precise choice of words  want to point out this special meaning, because the book is not only for the peoples of the past, but for the entire  humanity of the future as well.
peace