Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Questions for Joseph A.I - Inheritance / Riba / Hajj

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Questions for Joseph A.I - Inheritance / Riba / Hajj
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
Salaam Brother Joseph,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I still need further clarity regarding bequests. Does Allah explain who you can bequest to or not? Does He say that bequests are not to be made to heirs or is this from hadith?

What if you have 2 daughters who are not earning much but a son who does have an income? Also, what if you have a son who may not/can not take care of his sisters?

Please explain this [from another Quranic site] "3- If God wanted every estate to be divided according to the Quranic rules (son double daughter, etc) then why would God command us to write a will in the first place? Why would God make it compulsory on believers to write a will? Why would God give the will  priority when the estate is distributed? "

Please forgive me for troubling you with what may seem as petty questions but I am not at peace and one of the reasons is that I am very confused.

I hope I with be at peace when I feel i have fulfilled my obligations  before I loose my mind. Please pray for me.

Another area bothering me at the moment is Riba. I have been a housewife for 36 yrs so do not have a big income, except for some investments, savings and a rental from a property. I would never charge interest if my tenant is in arrears. The area i still need clarity on is the interest received on my savings about 5 - 6%. I understood that this is ok from reading other Quran only sites.

What is your opinion? I also understood that the zakaah only need to be paid once on my investments/savings - and not year after year?

Then about haj :
http://www.quran-islam.org/main_topics/islam/pillars/al-hajj_(P1195).html

I have been thinking : What if i made intention for haj but went for umrah in the sacred months? I could hire a taxi to take me to Arafat for a while and do sacrifice after that and distribute the meat to the poor? In your previous email you did not think this would be possible. Please explain why.

Regards and may Allah reward you for guiding us from darkness into light....

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Questions for Joseph A.I - Inheritance / Riba / Hajj
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
Salamun Alaikum

Peace to  you.

You said:

What if you have 2 daughters who are not earning much but a son who does have an income? Also, what if you have a son who may not/can not take care of his sisters?

With respect, such questions only assume the present. We have no knowledge how circumstances of the future can possibly change. In your experience, you must have witnessed such unexpected changes of circumstances in various parts of your life.

Heaven forbid, what if after one's demise, the wealthier party suffers a major loss both financially and physically and is in requirement of greater assistance? How do we know with certainty the that wealthier party(ies) will not assist those that are weaker (that is their test) or what God has in store for them?

God has instructed one to write a will which should account for nearest relatives. This is before any fixed portions stipulated by the Quran come into affect (2:180). The remit of one's will does have a wide scope, is not defined by the Quran and can arguably be used to assist others to offset, or to compensate etc. However, they must not be designed to compromise / hurt kinsfolk (ghayra mudarrrin 4.12) who God has mentioned are to receive an apportioned share (4:7).

Please see the related article below with the accompanying illustration:

INHERITANCE LAWS IN THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/inheritance%20FM3.htm

You also asked:

Please explain this [from another Quranic site] "3- If God wanted every estate to be divided according to the Quranic rules (son double daughter, etc) then why would God command us to write a will in the first place? Why would God make it compulsory on believers to write a will? Why would God give the will  priority when the estate is distributed? "

Indeed, the Quranic stipulations of portions are only to come into affect after one's individual will is satisfied (2:180). It is not intended to replace it. Therefore, the need to write a will is obligatory to capture any specific legacies / debts or distribution of portions taking care of near relatives and others in accordance to different circumstances.

Our duty at the end of the day is to do the best in accordance to our abilities.

064:016 (part)
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum)…”

With regards, Riba, please see my following article, which God willing should assist with your enquiry. It also has a small section on savings.

RIBA
http://quransmessage.com/articles/riba%20FM3.htm

With regards Hajj, the Quran arguably presents it as a community event where believers participate as part of a pilgrimage. The Quran clearly recognises that it takes a certain number of days to complete and it is not about taking a taxi to some locations.

002:203
“And remember God during certain number (Arabic: Madudatan) of days.

It would be arduous if not impossible to complete such a ritual in isolation.

Furthermore, the Quran acknowledges a practice involving the movement of multitudes from Arafat to specific locations. The historical relevance has not been deemed appropriate by the Quran to elaborate bar the purpose which is to remember God. Whatever traditions have reached us, there seems to be sanction for it in the Quran by virtue of the above verses.

002:198-200 (part)
It is no sin for you that you seek the bounty of your Lord. And when you depart from Arafat, then remember God near the sacred monument (Arabic: Mash'ari-lharami). Remember Him as He has guided you, although before you were surely of those who went astray. Then depart from wherever the people depart and ask forgiveness of God. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful. Then when you have completed your acts of worship, then remember God as you remember your forefathers or with greater remembrance...."

In the end, this is about judgment. I cannot tell you what to do or not to do. I can only share with you my perspectives on the Quran. However, if I were you and could not make Hajj in the month stipulated by the governing authorities of Saudi Arabia, I would complete my Umrah and ask forgiveness of God, for He knows best my situation and my intent.

Again, the following verses applies.

064:016 (part)
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum)…”

039:018
"Those who listen to the Word (the Quran) and follow the best meaning in it / best of it (Arabic: fayattabi'una ahsanahu) those are the ones whom God has guided and those are the one's endowed with understanding (Arabic: Albabi)"

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell