Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Allahu Akbar

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Allahu Akbar
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:15:19 AM »
 Salam All I had read on one of the Forums that Muslims call "Allahu Akbar"in Azan & Salat but this word is not in Quran.I tried to search on Islamicity Web site on Quran Search & I got the three instances but they are Allahi Akbaru.Can somebody help me in this regard? Thanks

At-Tauba (The Repentance)[9:72] [RECITE]   
[top]   [next match]

WaAAada Allahu almumineena waalmuminati jannatin tajree min tahtiha alanharu khalideena feeha wamasakina tayyibatan fee jannati AAadnin waridwanun mina Allahi akbaru thalika huwa alfawzu alAAatheemu
9:72 Allah hath promised to Believers, men and women, gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein, and beautiful mansions in gardens of everlasting bliss. But the greatest bliss is the good pleasure of Allah. that is the supreme felicity.

Al-'Ankabut (The Spider)[29:45] [RECITE]   
[top]   [next match]

Otlu ma oohiya ilayka mina alkitabi waaqimi alssalata inna alssalata tanha AAani alfahshai waalmunkari walathikru Allahi akbaru waAllahu yaAAlamu ma tasnaAAoona
29:45 Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to thee, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And Allah knows the (deeds) that ye do.

Ghafir (The Forgiver)[40:10] [RECITE]   
[top]   [next match]

Inna allatheena kafaroo yunadawna lamaqtu Allahi akbaru min maqtikum anfusakum ith tudAAawna ila aleemani fatakfuroona
40:10 The Unbelievers will be addressed: "Greater was the aversion of Allah to you than (is) your aversion to yourselves, seeing that ye were called to the Faith and ye used to refuse."
Share this tool with a friend, click here !...
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Allahu Akbar
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »

Salam All I got it now!! The word of God "Allahu Akbar" is in following Verse.May Allah forgive my mistake in not getting right. While making Quran Search of the Allahu Akbar on Islamicity web I could not get the following Aya containing Allahu Akbar. Therefore there is no need for brothers to comment Thanks

Surah 29. Al-Ankaboot, Verse 45:

:) :)
اتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ إِنَّ الصَّلَاةَ تَنْهَىٰ عَنِ الْفَحْشَاءِ وَالْمُنكَرِ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا تَصْنَعُونَ

Translation:
Recite that which has been revealed to you of the Book and keep up prayer; surely prayer keeps (one) away from indecency and evil, and certainly the remembrance of Allah is the greatest, and Allah knows what you do.

via iQuran

Sent from my iPhone
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline sahibul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
Salam Sardar,
Although the word akbar is found in the Quran, it is not cited as one of God's Most Beautiful Names unlike Al Kabir, Al Muttakabir or Al Azim. Neither is it also stated as one of His attributes.

In the Quran. Allah commands us to call Him Allah or Ar Rahman or by any of His Most Beautiful Names and not by names which you and your fathers have invented as attested by these verses:

To GOD belongs the most beautiful names; call upon Him therewith, and disregard those who distort His names. They will be requited for their sins. (7:180)

Say, `Call upon ALLAH or call upon Al-Rahman, by whichever name you call on HIM, HIS are the most beautiful names.' And utter not thy Prayer aloud, nor utter it too low, but seek a way between. (17:110)

He said, "Indeed the punishment and the wrath of your Lord have fallen upon you; what! You needlessly dispute with me regarding the names you and your ancestors have fabricated? Allah has not sent down any proof concerning them; therefore wait - I too await with you." (7:71)

They are but names, named by you and your fathers. Allah has not sent down any authority for them. They follow conjecture and their soul's desire, even though the guidance of their Lord has come to them. (53:23)

You do not worship besides Him but [mere] names that you and your fathers have coined, for which Allah has not sent down any authority. Sovereignty belongs only to Allah. He has commanded you to worship none except Him. That is the upright religion, but most people do not know. (12:4)

Here are some examples of some of the names to glorify Him by:

So glorify the Name of your Lord the Most Great (Rab-ul-Azeem). (69:52)

So, celebrate with Praises the Name of your Lord (Rab), the Greatest (Al-Azeem). (56:96)

Praise (and Glorify) the Name of your Lord, the Most High (Rab-Al-A'la), (87:1)

Blessed be the Name of your Lord (Rab), Full of Majesty and Honor (Zhul-Jal-ul-Ikram). (55:78)

What is the purpose of those who invent names other than His Most Beautiful Names?

Perhaps this verse will provide the answer.

And their purpose was to lure you away from that which We had revealed to you, to substitute in our name something quite different, and then they would certainly have made you their friend.  (17:73)
If We had not made you firm, you would have leaned towards them a little.  (17:74)
Had you done that, we would have doubled the retribution for you in this life, and after death, and you would have found no one to help you against us. (17:75)

Salam.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Dear Sahibul,

May peace be with you.

Thank you so much for sharing your perspectives  :)

If I humbly may, I'd like to offer a nuanced interpretation for your kind consideration and that of the wider readership which would in effect, broaden the scope of verses such as 17:110 and the interpretive licence that I feel they intend to provide.

I will also attempt to provide my reasons why.

Verses such as 7:71, 53:23 that you have kindly shared in my humble view, do not question the names per se, but rather the names that have been invented for the purpose of 'godship' or 'worship'. This has been clearly qualified by verse 12:40 and in particular the expression "ma ta'buduna min dunihi illa asmaan sammaytumuha antum waabaukum" (You do not worship besides Him but names which you have named them, you and your forefathers)

Therefore, the interpretative lean is on the names that have been invented for 'worship' and not the names per se. God has always been known to different people with different languages by different names. [1] 

Please see Exodus 6.2-3:

"And God spoke to Moses and said to him, I am the Lord (Hebrew: Yahweh) and I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty (Hebrew: 'El Shaddai') but I was not known to them by my name 'Yahweh'

Therefore, Prophet Abraham knew God as 'El' as did Isaac and Jacob and not as 'Yahweh' (As Moses knew him) or 'Allah' as the Arabs would come to know of Him. In all the names, the reference is to One Deity.

The name 'Allah' is only an Arabic name for God. It is not an exclusive name for God. God is understood as an unfathomable, supreme entity not a name.

Even today, Arab Jews and Christians still refer to their God as 'Allah'.

Even before the old religion of Islam was revealed to the Pagan Arabs, Jewish and Christian Arabs used 'Allah' as the name for their God. The following Quranic verse confirms this.

“They say: "Allah has begotten a son" Glory be to Him. Nay, to Him belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth: everything renders worship to Him”

“(Both) the Jews and the Christians say: "We are sons of Allah, and his beloved." Say: "Why then does He punish you for your sins? Nay, ye are but men, of the men he has created: He forgives whom He pleases, and He punishes whom He pleases: and to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between: and to Him is the final goal (of all)"

Many Muslims make the counter claim that Christians and Jews used the true name of God because they had previous scriptures revealed to them. But this line of reasoning is easily defeated by the Quran when it makes it clear that even the Arab idolaters (Mushrikeen) called their 'high' God, 'Allah'

"If indeed you ask them who has created the Heavens and the Earth and subjected the Sun and the Moon (to his Law), they will certainly reply, "Allah". How are they then deluded away (from the truth)"?

However, the Quran asks the 'idolaters' (Mushrikeen) not to associate any partners with the One God, in His majesty, in His power, in His judgment or indeed, to invoke anyone apart from Him. This can be seen in the following verse.

“If indeed you ask them who is it that created the Heavens and the Earth, they would be sure to say, "Allah". Say: "Then do you see what you invoke besides Allah? Can they, if Allah wills some penalty for me, remove His penalty? Or if He wills some grace for me, can they keep back his grace?" Say: "Sufficient is Allah for me! In Him do the trusting put their trust"”

God cannot be restricted to a language or an expression and any beautiful names attributed to God could be seen as permissible under the scope of verse 17:110 if the unwarranted limitation of interpretation is removed from verses such as 7:71 and 53:23.

Indeed, some Arabic expressions have been suggested by the Quran when referring to God, but this is not intended with a view to limit nomenclature.

Even if you disagree, I trust that you will at least be prepared to appreciate an alternative perspective which has been cited with Quranic and wider theological support.

Regards
Joseph.

REFERENCE:

[1] ‘ALLAH’ IS NOT AN EXCLUSIVE NAME FOR GOD
http://quransmessage.com/articles/allah%20is%20not%20an%20exclusive%20name%20for%20god%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:35:05 AM »
Salaam all,

So, what's in a name?  The essence of existence that defies both form and term and human understanding.

20:12-15  I am your Lord!  Take off your sandals, for you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa.  I have chosen you.  So listen to what is being revealed.  I am God.  There is no deity save Me; so worship Me alone, and say your prayers in My remembrance.  The Hour is coming.  But I choose to keep it hidden, so that every human being may be recompensed in accordance with his labors.

Jahilliyah had a concept of Allah who is the Creator of the world, Giver of rain, momentarily the only Deity in face of mortal danger, binding oaths were taken in His name as can be understood from 29:61, 63; 31:32, 35:42

Quran is only pointing out the failure of the Jahilliyah to draw the logical, right conclusion from the acknowledgment of Allah’s being the Creator of the heaven and earth which is supposed to be worshipping and serving Allah alone and none else.

I believe the significance of God referring to Himself by this pre-existing name in the Arabic Quran shows that God is willing to respond to the name adopted by His creatures provided the right conclusion is achieved.

Peace,
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline sahibul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
Salam,
Sorry for not replying sooner.
Did not Allah warned us repeated times about the folly of following views and opinions instead of the clear truths contained in the Quran.

Yes, I know He ask us to listen to all views but did not He also told us to select the best. (All the verses I quoted are muhkamat verses and not muttashabihat). And whose words are better than Allah for those who know.

Joseph. You stated that: "God cannot be restricted to a language or an expression and any beautiful names attributed to God could be seen as permissible under the scope of verse 17:110 if the unwarranted limitation of interpretation is removed from verses such as 7:71 and 53:23. "

Are you implying that it is alright to follow certain verses and disregard the others? I certainly hope not.

And what do you mean by wider theological support? I hope this does not include the opinions of those who subscribe to the hadiths of other than God's hadiths.

Now tell me what is the difference between akbar and an-nasr or yaguth or al-uzza. Do they not all sound beautiful and have "good"  meaning. Nasr and yaguth means helper while uzza means mighty.

Anyway, did not Allah already list out all of His Most Beautiful names in the Quran? So call Him by those names.

John would not like someone calling him James, and if you were to call him James from afar, he would not respond because that is not his name. Is that not simple enough for you to understand?

Salam. (PS: As-Salam also happens to be one of God's name).

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »
Dear Sahibul,

Peace to you.

On this forum, myself and the moderators like to maintain academic decorum and evidence based opinions. With respect, I sense your post has the tone of becoming personal due to deep held convictions and hence I will not advance my view any further on this thread or address your contentions. I have shared my humble perspectives with evidence and with respect. I did not find your interpretation of the verses supported by mine and I respectfully shared the reasons why.

Please can you accept my post the last to you on this matter.  :)

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell