Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Astaana and other Quranist Misinformation

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Astaana and other Quranist Misinformation
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:16:41 AM »
Dear br. Joseph

Ass'alama- alaykum

There are many qu'ranists that are making a mess of the qu'ran's language and words. They are putting out ridiculous claims. Its now even more difficult than before to recognize them as they dont go by names and just qu'ranists. Some groups are well known to do this as astaana who I think are not Arabs but from pakistan where their language is not Arabic.

There are lots of claims. I have a few to share with you so you can see for yourself and would like your opinion pls on them.

(1) THE QURAN IS A BOOK OF HAQ, RIGHTS, 2:176... IT IS FREE FROM SUPER NATURAL BASELESS STORIES. IT IS PURE KNOWLEDGE AND A METHOD TO LEAD HUMANITY OUT FROM DARKNESS TO THE LIGHT 14:1-5

(2) And what is that in your right hand, O Moses?" 20:17
The word biyamīnika /is translated to right hand, whereas in Arabic the word for right hand should be yad yameeni.
Yameen with the root   yā mīm nūn means prosperous/fortunate, lead to the right, be a cause of blessing,
There is NO word for hand in this verse
The word BI is attached which means WITH, IT IS NOT FI which means in.

(3) Another thing is that the word Yameen is under the paradigm of fael, other words under the same paradigm:-

Qadeer = the one who is able to qadr
Aleem = the one who posess  ilm
Nazeer= the one who is able to warn

This is why, YAMEEN is the person who is able to: LEAD TO THE RIGHT, BE A CAUSE OF BLESSING,

The question: And what is WITH YOUR YAMEEN, O Moses?"

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Astaana and other Quranist Misinformation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »
May peace be with you.

I am well aware of such approaches to the Quran and have duly shared my concerns with regards them on various platforms. However, I must add that I would personally find it unfair to paint all 'Quranists' with the same brush.

The term 'Quranist' seems to be widely used by many who at times are innocently unaware of the 'possible' contrived approaches used by 'some' who may also like to refer to themselves by the same name.

Hence when I have humbly made use of the term, I have qualified it by making use of the term 'some' indicating a particular approach by possibly certain individuals. In the end, only God knows best the true state of one's heart.

Please find below my responses to what you have shared and my parting sentiments which reiterate my humble reservations with such an approach.

(1) THE QURAN IS A BOOK OF HAQ, RIGHTS, 2:176... IT IS FREE FROM SUPER NATURAL BASELESS STORIES. IT IS PURE KNOWLEDGE AND A METHOD TO LEAD HUMANITY OUT FROM DARKNESS TO THE LIGHT 14:1-5

These constitute unsubstantiated statements without any evidence. However, to make use of verse 2:176 to interpret ‘haq’ as rights is in my humble view, incorrect and an obfuscation.

The word in 2:176 is ‘bil-haqq’ which with the prefixed prep ‘bi’ in this context means ‘with’ (the) truth. There is nothing in 2:176 which says ‘rights’.  The Quran is also a book of stories (qasas) and a historical record of some of the ancients. (12:111). Haqq in this verse does not mean ‘rights’.  The word for 'rights' would be expected in in the comp. adj form of haqq and haqiq in the nominative singular masculine ‘ahaqq’. The word in 2:176 is not ‘ahaqq’. (2:228, 2:247, 33:37, 48:26) but in the genitive ‘haqq’.

There is no clear evidence from verse 2:176 from which one can conclude that the Quran is a book of ‘rights’.

The burden of proof remains outstanding for a party asserting such a claim to provide clear unequivocal evidence that the Quran says it is only a book of rights.

(2) And what is that in your right hand, O Moses?" 20:17

The word biyamīnika /is translated to right hand, whereas in Arabic the word for right hand should be yad yameeni.

Yameen with the root   yā mīm nūn means prosperous/fortunate, lead to the right, be a cause of blessing,

There is NO word for hand in this verse

The word BI is attached which means WITH, IT IS NOT FI which means in.

This kind of expression to refer to the ‘right hand’ both literal and metaphorical is common in the Quran. Please see verses 17:71, 39:67 and 37:93

037:093
“Then he turned against them secretly, smiting them with the right hand (bil-yamini)

It is also clear from Prophet Moses’s response to the question asked in verse 20:17, that the reference was to something he possessed in his right hand.

Furthermore, the prep ‘bi’ has a wide ranging designation such as at, in, by, by means of, with etc, depending on context.

For example, If I say:
'bi’shaari’i-l’ oxford' – I mean ‘on Oxford street’

If I say:
'rijal-un bi’l malaabis-il’taqliidiyyi' – I mean 'men with traditional clothes'

If I say:
'bi’l-shimaal-i ifriqiyy' - I mean ‘in North Africa’

Sadly, the context is left unappreciated and unwarranted linguistic licence is utilised to support a particular theological position / agenda.

(3) Another thing is that the word Yameen is under the paradigm of fael, other words under the same paradigm:-

Qadeer = the one who is able to qadr
Aleem = the one who posess  ilm
Nazeer= the one who is able to warn

This is why, YAMEEN is the person who is able to: LEAD TO THE RIGHT, BE A CAUSE OF BLESSING,

The question: And what is WITH YOUR YAMEEN, O Moses?"

Therefore if ‘Yameeen’ means a person who is able to: LEAD TO THE RIGHT, BE A CAUSE OF BLESSING? how can Prophet Moses throw it down in verse 20:19? In verse 20:18, Prophet Moses clearly says it is my rod / staff, I recline on it / beat leaves. Where did this rod come from if it was not in his right hand?

With utmost respect, this appears to be a misuse of the Quranic narratives to impose an alternative meaning to the Quran and to alter its basic concepts.

We must all take heed from the narratives of the Quran which inform us of those who have passed away before us and used to 'distort words from their proper contexts' (yuharrifunal-kalima a-mawadihi) and 'twist with their tongues' (layyan bi-alsinatihim) (4:46)

"And among them are 'Ummi' who do not know the Scripture / Book except from wishful thinking and they do nothing but guess."

"Therefore woe be to those who write the Scripture with their hands and then say, "This is from God," that they may purchase a small gain with it. Woe to them for what their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby"

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell