Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How Do We do Sunnah without Referring to Hadiths?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
How Do We do Sunnah without Referring to Hadiths?
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:18:10 AM »
salamualaikum brother joseph..

i have a thoughts in my head about sunnah and quran, and in one of your article that refer that we should stick to quran before hadits. how do we do sunnah if we dont refer to hadits?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: How Do We do Sunnah without Referring to Hadiths?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:22:16 AM »
May peace be with you

There is a fundamental difference between Sunnah and Hadith. Please see article [1] below which endeavours to highlight the difference, God willing.

There were many practices which found direct support from the Quran and believers were expected to engage in these long before any Ahadith corpus was written or compiled. For example, people were praying and giving zakat long before a book of canonised Hadith was put together. A living tradition was always in situ.

There is not one hadith that teaches one how to pray from start to finish including all rakats. Such a practice is learnt as best practice from en-masse propagation, generation to generation. Please see article [2] below.

Ultimately, whatever we do, we must make the Quran the ultimate criterion to judge with. We must seek approval from the Quran that any practice we commit to is sanctioned or is within the general spirit of the Quran's guidance.

For believers, no practice or belief can be instituted in the name of God's ordained religion which does not find direct sanction in the Quran.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

REFERENCES:

[1] THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HADITH AND SUNNA
http://quransmessage.com/articles/hadith%20and%20sunna%20FM3.htm
[2] HOW CAN WE LEARN PRAYER IF WE DON'T HAVE HADITH TO TEACH US?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/prayer%20without%20hadith%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell